1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Star Trek: Picard

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Jan 25, 2020.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Well I watched it yesterday...

And... I was largely bored.

Used to be that they could tell a complete story in 44 minutes. Now they have to hint at a story that will take 8 episodes to tell in 44 minutes.

Ah well...

agathamorse, install and Jamvic like this.
  2. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

I’ll have a look at it later tonight, time permitting. But tbh I’ve not been impressed by any Star Trek related offerings for a long time now.

agathamorse, install and Jesmond12 like this.
  3. BetterNow

BetterNow Occasional commenter

I wasn’t sure to start with, but it picked up.

Hoping that the rest keeps the pace up. Not sure I want too much sad/ old stuff.

I do miss episodic writing though - mure fun for rewatches.

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Don't get me wrong... I loved Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica and ST:DS9 ... all of which did long form overarching stories...

But they laid seeds for their narrative throughout their early seasons... they earned the long-form loyalty...

Have to see what ST: P does.

agathamorse and Jamvic like this.
  5. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

I enjoyed it but do acknowledge that it is 'setting the scene' for the future.

Surprised at how old Picard looks and acts. Senior moment - I can't remember the actors name:(

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Sir Patrick Stewart.

Or Charles Xavier...

7. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Of course - I remembered as soon as I posted!

agathamorse and Jamvic like this.
  8. smurphy6

smurphy6 Senior commenter

Ever since I first saw Patrick Stewart on ST Next Gen I have had a soft spot for him. I will watch the series because Picard is my favourite ST captain.

I loved the fact that his dog is called Number One.

agathamorse, Lidnod, Sally006 and 5 others like this.
  9. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Is it as chronic as Discovery? I have tried watching that and am now into the second series. It hasn't got any better with empresses and dodgy Klingons wearing too much prosthesis you can't understand them, and all this stupid spore stuff. The charcters are all unlikeable too. How come we get Captain Pike back again? Rubbish.

10. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Lead commenter

Was bored by the opening scene. Then Mary Sue Strong Female Character made an entrance duffed up three highly trained black-ops men with no effort.

I could see how it was going and switched off.

I'll stick to watching excellent and prescient episodes of Star Trek TNG. Drumhead, for example

agathamorse and install like this.
  11. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

They have started doing reruns of TNG on "Pick" (Sky freeview channel). The first series is awful. For starters it needs a digital makeover (like the original got), Mr Data is just annoying, Wesley Crusher hasn't left yet and is an smug sprog, Riker hasn't been at the pies yet (from the pie replicator of course), Trasha hasn't been absorbed into an asphalt monster yet. I only think it improved once the Borg turned up, but retrospectively it ain't that good. When I watched the first two episodes in the late 80s I nearly turned off forever because Q just got up my nose instantly, and they kept bringing him back! I can't/shouldn't really comment on "Picard" because I do not have Sky and will not ever pay Murdoch one penny piece of my hard earned, so I'll wait until it gets to Freeview.

Jolly_Roger15 and alex_teccy like this.
  12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

To be fair... it's better than Discovery was in it's first episode.

It's on Amazon Prime... not Sky.

JL48 and Jamvic like this.
  13. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Yup. Enjoyed it.

Like the back story of why he’s holed up in a chateau and why Data types are no longer allowed. Intrigued to find out what made them all go rogue, there’s obviously more to that. Interesting premise on the daughter/s.

Overall a decent prologue episode with potential. Let’s see how they build on it next week.

Wish they would release two episides at a time though.

agathamorse, Sally006 and install like this.
  14. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

i still don't get why so many people have that problem of just not believing me when I tell them Captain Kirk has three ears.
    He does though! A left ear, a right ear. And a final front ear.

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

[​IMG]

16. BetterNow

BetterNow Occasional commenter

If you haven’t watched it all, you might not have got the right idea about the Mary Sue.

17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Our Amazon Fire home page has a big banner across it of 'Star Trek Picard'... MrsLan is confused..."How is that supposed to be appealing?" she asks... Patrick Stewart's digitally adjusted face... she's not a Star Trek person.

Jamvic likes this.
  18. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

My OH watches TNG on a continuous loop :(.

Marshall and install like this.
  19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Been a long time since I watched TNG. No urge to go back really...

install and Jamvic like this.
  20. install

install Star commenter

Picard's return looks good to me..

JL48, oldsomeman and Jamvic like this.