1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Star Of The Week!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sbkrobson, Oct 12, 2018.

1. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I wondered what people thought of an informal reward system for teaching staff?
    I'm not sure what I think of it.
    In our school we have Staff Star Of The Week awards. The award being a piece of paper saying you are staff star of the week. And this fact is conveyed to allstaff via email offering congratulations to that person because they are staff star of the week.
    In the email the reason is given, and these are some reasons why people have been selected to staff star of the week-
    For always helping out their students whenever asked
    For always smiling
    For being helpful
    For supporting new staff in their teething problems.

Staff star of the week nominations are held every week in the staff room on the same day after school. You turn up, you get tea or coffee, you put your nomination in a box. It is run by three very nice teachers,and they do the nominations count too.

I've tried to explain it very neutrally so I can get the possible pros and cons of it from you.

Although I would like to add that the three very nice teachers who run the thing seem to me very much like children's TV presenters. Not that that is relevant of course.

vinnie24 and friedgreentomatoes like this.
  2. May2

May2 Established commenter

At the school my husband used to work at, The Head chose a star of the month, well he presented it anyway, but people could nominate, not exactly sure how it was decided. Anyway a bottle of wine was presented each time at a morning briefing and this could go to any member of staff, teaching or non teaching. It did show the Head valued the staff and my husband was pleased when he won his 'prize' (network manager).

freckle06 and sbkrobson like this.
  3. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Star commenter

We have Star of the Month for staff (all staff, teaching and non-teaching). When it was introduced I was very cynical, but actually I really like it. Everyone who is nominated is told the reason why, and it has proved a good way for us to remember that we are all in this together.

freckle06 and sbkrobson like this.
  4. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Initiatives like this, though well meaning, run the risk of breeding false envy.

sbkrobson likes this.
  5. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Gawd luvvus

770E8AF4-FF52-4D6A-81AB-B4CACA0351C9.jpeg

6. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

Could I win it for pointing out how poor the in-service training was?

nomad, colpee, george1963 and 5 others like this.
  7. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Fine for those who like it, but a bit too Reception class for cynical old me.:oops:

8. rustyfeathers

rustyfeathers Occasional commenter

We have it, but very different! Our SLT discuss it in their meeting and the head has a friendly thank you and you are appreciated chat. I only know because it happened to me a few weeks ago, and made me feel all warm and fuzzy. I like it like this - less awkwardly embarrassing for the staff who gets it, less flashy, and for those who aren't there yet, it doesn't make them feel bad that they've not been picked yet - because they probably don't know, and it's a quiet and low-key thing.

9. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

I'd hate this. Our head says thank you to all his staff-often buying us lunch, or afternoon tea at the end of long inset days. Everyone feels valued, not just one person .He also sends out emails thanking everyone for their hard work during the term.

10. vannie

vannie Star commenter

I got a certificate in assembly today. And a gold sticker. I am winning at life.

kibosh, lardylady, sbkrobson and 8 others like this.
  11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

A previous HT I worked for would put a small hand written card in peoples pigeon holes as a mark of her appreciation for things done. These could be for all sorts of things like taking a trip or helping run a show etc. It was a small thing but appreciated by everyone.

12. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

About 15 years ago I was given a certificate for giving the best encouragement at Sports Day - the citation quoted me saying "Run as fast as you have ever run in your life". I couldn't help being pleased.

sbkrobson likes this.
  13. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

They do staff of the week in McDonalds.

sbkrobson likes this.
  14. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

As I read this I feel my stress/embarrassment rash appearing on neck and chest. It's cringeworthy. Do you think kids find star of the week' award as patronising as this sounds to me?

15. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

And done quietly. That to me makes all the difference.

kibosh, sbkrobson, carterkit and 2 others like this.
  16. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

The Head of the school I have recently retired from does this. Such a breath of fresh air compared to previous regimes we had there. And she never misses a trick - every little extra is appreciated with a card and note of thanks.

blazer, kibosh, sbkrobson and 2 others like this.
  17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Considering I rarely see SLT [except for one who seems to hang around the Dept] I don't see how they'd ever see anything good I was doing ... or bad....

18. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

In 30 plus years of teaching I can only remember twice being thanked for all the work I did or the effort I made towards helping staff,pupil and the school.I got more praise from the School PTA than from schools.
    Its a nice idea and with care an ecouragement can be a boost to ones self esteem,but there is always a danger it becomes the same folk being praised,especially if you are figting a cause or doing wwhat to other may seem disagreeable.

sbkrobson likes this.
  19. ladylyra

ladylyra New commenter

Sounds patronising to me. I suppose it could work if you had an actual prize (I have plenty enough paperwork, please don't give me more) and if the things you were getting praise for were genuine. Why are they praising people for helping their students, isn't that literally the job? Does smiling make you a good teacher? If it's a weekly thing, at some point they're going to run out of legitimate reasons and pick someone at random (don't lie, we've all done it!)

It depends on your work environment too. I know some schools where this would go down like a lead balloon not because its patronising but because everyone else would ask why them and not me. That's just the kind of culture they'd created.

Valued staff are important but there's better ways to do it. I love some of the suggestions above and I'd much prefer the small scaled, genuine praise. My current LM thanks everyone at the end of every day and makes a point to point out good things when they see it (good lessons, coping with behaviour etc) and I think that goes much further than a piece of paper and what I would feel to be an awkward staff meeting!

kibosh and sbkrobson like this.
  20. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Anything positive is good - there's too much negativity in teaching.

I've just marked some tests (lowish ability set) - very decent marks - one little girl who works so hard got 40 out of 48 - she will be chuffed to bits when I give her test back.