1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Star of the week - Year 5

Discussion in 'Primary' started by 20336870, Jun 20, 2011.

1. 20336870

20336870 New commenter

Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me.

I have got a job in a year 5 class in September and want to award a child star of the week every friday. In my last class this meant having their photo on the door and taking home the class toy and diary to fill in to share on Monday, although I feel that the toy and diary idea is probably too young for year 5???? Any ideas about what that child could do instead as a reward????? I would still like to do the photo on the door thing but would also love them to fill something in over the weekend as a reward too. Any ideas????? Thanks!

2. 20336870

20336870 New commenter

Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me.

I have got a job in a year 5 class in September and want to award a child star of the week every friday. In my last class this meant having their photo on the door and taking home the class toy and diary to fill in to share on Monday, although I feel that the toy and diary idea is probably too young for year 5???? Any ideas about what that child could do instead as a reward????? I would still like to do the photo on the door thing but would also love them to fill something in over the weekend as a reward too. Any ideas????? Thanks!

3. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Established commenter

Extra homework as a reward?

4. I've done star of the day, and the next day the child was allowed to sit on the comfy armchair during carpet time. And their name was up on the wall - no photo though. I wouldn't give them tons of stuff to fill in really, instead give them a reward, ie computer time with a friend they can choose, or some other privilege.

5. debbie4us

debbie4us New commenter

We do a similar reward. Star of the Week has certificate at Friday Assembly and the teachers say nice things about why they have achieved it. They have photo up too and I also make them line leader and choose them for any special jobs, come out to whiteboard first and let them have any treats first so that for a week they are the 'special' important person in the class! .

6. Hi, I've got year 5's and we do 'Child of the week' - slightly different but similar!
    Every friday I ask the class for nominations and reasons, (I usally get three) and then we have an anomous vote. My class have got quite good at voting for who they think is the most deserving and not just their best friend. (Each child only has one week of being child of the week)
    The child then waits outside the class room while all the other children write something they like or admire about that person on a scrap of paper, which I then type up into a poster over the weekend. The next monday I present the child with a copy of their poster and a second copy is displayed in the classroom all week.
    The children really like having lots of positive things written about them to keep and it goes down well with parents too (one even framed it!)
    Hope that's of some use!

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

My class would love a teddy and a book to take home for the weekend and they are year 6. We do have one, but it is shared with the whole school, so they rarely get to have him. My class also started the idea of taking him home, other classes who won beforehand hadn't and then of keeping a diary when they did.

Definitely do it with year 5.

8. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Seriously? That sound odd.

It still sounds like their prize for winning this child/worker/star of the week is extra homework.

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Why? We have a school uniform teddy that is won by a different class each week. From year 1 to year 6 you can guarantee a cheer from whichever class is announced as the winner. No matter which class or year group. Doesn't seem odd at all.

And absolutely all children clamour to be allowed to take him home overnight or over the weekend. It is the biggest reward that can be offered. No homework involved as it is optional to fill in the book, they can if they want. Almost all do, often with a photo of the teddy sitting at the dining table with the family or at football practice.

There is currently a competition running to won the bear for the whole summer holidays. Year 6 are becoming very inventive in their ideas of how to be able to return him in September.

I think it would be odd if children didn't value such a thing. Depends how you present it I suppose.

10. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Winning something as a class is a bit different. We have a toy that can be one for singing the most that week. The class love to win that. I couldn't see more than a few of my class wanting to take it home though. As the book is optional that does make it sound a bit better but the idea that any of our Y6 boys would take it to football training would be laughed out of the room.

Our children just have too many other things to do I guess.

11. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL Or ours just take along a teddy! That teddy has a more active life than I do!

12. 20336870

20336870 New commenter

This sounds fantastic some great ideas, thanks for all your help!

13. Hi
    We have the Star of the Day's photo on a big golden star on the display board. Also they can collect a piece of treasure (rubber, ruler, pencil etc) from my treasure box and a special certificate!! The children love it and they are so proud to go home with their special certificates.