1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Standing up in cot

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Milochka, May 16, 2011.

1. Hello,

Just wondering if anyone had any bright ideas about what to do when baby persistently stands up in the cot when laid down to sleep. I have generally (before he could pull up) tried to put him down to bed drowsy but awake and sometimes have left him to fuss for 2-3 mins before he falls asleep. This used to work very well at bedtime at least. Now that he is more mobile, if he is awake at all he immediately stands up. As a result, I am staying with him until he eventually falls asleep, lying him down every time he stands up.

I don't really feel like I can leave him for even 2 minutes to settle himself as I'm not sure he can safely get down, particularly when he is tired. Is this what other people do? I'm reluctant to keep running in the second I hear him crying as I don't want to make him over-reliant on me standing over him to get back to sleep every time he stirs.

As a bit of background, my little boy is nearly 8 months and has never slept right through - usually has 1 milk feed in the night and often wakes 2-3 times. I had been planning to do some sort of gentle sleep training in a few weeks but don't really know how I can combine it with the standing up thing.

Thanks for reading!

milochka

2. Can't help really as my little tub decided that he would start standing up in his cot today. Curious as to how this will affect sleeps. We are bad parents who put him into his cot when he's mostly too drowsy to do anything other than go straight to sleep.

3. I think it is one of those things that is only really a problem when they are a bit unsteady on their feet.and can pull themselves up but not get down. I remember my daughter starting that at about the same age. In a couple of weeks he will be able to get back down and you will just be able to leave him. In the mean time you probably do just have to be a bit careful.

4. Glitter my daughter still does it. She just lies down herself eventually and goes to sleep. As long as they arent going to headbutt the bars I dont think its a problem.

5. Thanks for the replies - hopefully it will just be a phase. I've allowed it to become a problem really by cuddling him back to sleep or bringing him into bed with me if he stands up more than a few times but I think it is time to get tough and keep putting him back down now. Easy to say now - will see what happens at 3am this morning!

6. I remember this well....both of my girls slept beautifully until the moment they could stand. Then they were nightmares. As soon as they touched the mattress, no matter how drowsy - was trying to put them down not quite asleep- they would rouse, stand and scream blue bloody murder, often to the point of being sick.
    I used the withdrawing method (I think that is what it is called) and also played a lovely CD of babies tunes that was soft classical tunes, with a heartbeat in the background. I would lay them down and start with my hand rubbing their back. This moved onto a touch on their hand. Then it was sitting nearby, then further away. It wasn't a smooth ride and I frequently cursed the creaky floorboard that would have them waking again when I was creeping out. It took time and patience, and on the odd occasion I thought I'd go out of my mind, but then it was done.
    Good luck.