1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Standing out from the crowd!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by KayleighJane, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Hi everyone,

As you all know, securing a job in the current climate is extremely difficult and being a third year trainee primary teacher I have one year to add to my CV to make it stand out from the competition! So far I have begun learning to read music and play the piano, and I'm also enrolling on a Makaton course. Can you think of anything else that I can improve or add to in the next year that will help me appeal more to employers? Next year I will receive a lot of information on what they are looking for but I feel that by then it could be too late. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thank you.

Kayleigh.

2. Get yourself observed as being Outstanding in a lesson Observation is a pretty good start - HT's want to know that you're an excellent teacher first and foremost. Get involved in after school clubs etc when you're on school practice also helps but all the other 'stuff' is secondary in my mind to demonstrating that the quality of your teaching is top notch. I'd read books like 'teach like a champion' to give your teaching an unusual edge.