1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Standing for Staff Governor

Discussion in 'Governors' started by nickwilson1234, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Hello,
    I am going to be standing in an election for staff governor at the secondary academy where I work. I need to produce a short written statement of why I would like to be governor. I know it sounds silly to ask for advice on this, as it is a personal statement of my own reasons. However, I'm not particularly good at selling myself when writing about myself, so I wonder if anyone had any advice on good things to say.
    Thank you!

2. Hello,
    I am going to be standing in an election for staff governor at the secondary academy where I work. I need to produce a short written statement of why I would like to be governor. I know it sounds silly to ask for advice on this, as it is a personal statement of my own reasons. However, I'm not particularly good at selling myself when writing about myself, so I wonder if anyone had any advice on good things to say.
    Thank you!

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Make sure you have a clear understanding of the role of staff governor, and that, for example, staff governors are not mandated to express any views apart from their own but should report in good faith any widely held staff views, even if in a vote they decide to vote differently then build your personal statement around that. Here's some guidance, there's plenty more online if you search 'role of staff governor'
    http://www.learning.luton.gov.uk/l2g/custom/files_uploaded/uploaded_resources/3468/TheRoleOfStaffGovernor.pdf
    Make clear your willingness to contribute fully to the governing body including serving on committees.

4. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Nick, I see you have just started at this school and are part way through a Masters course. Will you have time to be a Governor?

5. Thanks for your help. That leaflet had a lot of useful information.
    Fortunately, the Masters is nearly finished, so I will replace the time saved by finishing that with time taken up by being a governor.