1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Standards

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by natwest, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Hi guys,

I am soon starting my PGCE and was wondering if there were any of the standards that I could make a start on before September?

2. Hi natwest
    If you want to make a start before your course commences, might I suggest you contact your course tutor and ask for a list of reading material to be going on with?
    eannie

3. Hiya,

Having just successfully completed my PGCE I would suggest you put the standards to the back of your mind until the course begins. I would focus on developing/refreshing your subject-knowledge, reading books about teaching in secondary schools and subject-specific reading etc.

The way standards are tackled depends entirely on the institution you are studying at. You wouldn't want to do lots of work on meeting standards prior to the start of the course only to find that the work you had done 'doesn't count'. Standards must be observed and ratified by the institution or the school-based tutors during placements and from the marking of assignments.

Honestly, if there is any advice i give people starting a PGCE is to enjoy your down-time, relax and simply spend the time casually swotting up on 'British Education' in general, reflect on your own educational history too. (especially if your doing a PGCE at Wolverhampton hint hint ;) Good Luck with the PGCE though!

Luke

4. You would do well to just brush up on your subject knowledge while you have the time, that will make the rest of the standards a lot easier to focus on when you get started :)