1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Standards in TES News

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Vince_Ulam, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

@TES_Rosaline, could you ask someone from TES News to explain why they are reporting as 'landmark' significant claims that have as yet not been published and therefore cannot be reviewed by its readers?

Exclusive: Third of pupils in wrong maths set

'The latest findings, in an unpublished paper seen by Tes, come from an analysis of data from 9,301 Year 7 pupils at 46 secondary schools in England.

The researchers compared which maths set the pupils should have been put in – based on their key stage 2 Sats maths scores – with the sets they were actually placed in.

They found that 31.1 per cent of pupils were placed in sets that were either higher or lower than their end-of-primary results would have warranted.
    '
    TES.com, 6th September 2018.

This cannot be reported as fact and TES should withdraw this story immediately until such time as the paper is published.

If not then the question must be to why TES News & its reporters are preferentially promoting the work of UCL's Institute of Education.

To trumpet this story as an 'exclusive' is pathetic when no doubt every other outlet to whom this paper was offered held fast to their journalistic standards. Is there an editor available who might be held to account for promoting potentially flawed claims to the teaching profession and to parents of Mathematics pupils who previously regarded TES as a trusted source of information?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  2. Vince_Ulam

To clarify 'preferential': Last week, between the 6th & 7th, TES News has published seven articles promoting the UCL Institute of Education, one of these written by its director. This is disproportionate to the value of the UCL work cited, let alone that for which it has not yet found a publisher.

To ask the question in its own right: why is TES News & its reporters preferentially promoting the work of UCL's Institute of Education?

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Have they done any research into the veracity of SATs results? My old school and probably most others re -test the kids in september and set accordingly. SATs are not a reliable indicator of ability.

4. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

It also implies all students should progress in an identical fashion and maintain their relative position in a cohort once they get to secondary school.

monicabilongame, Alice K and colpee like this.
  5. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Fake news because there are no Sats results.

Why does the TES not tell the simple truth - that national curriculum tests are just NCTs. That's all.

They are not Sats now and never have been.

Bumptious and monicabilongame like this.
  6. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Perhaps it's irony...... given that SLT can use such data to beat teachers up with then it's fair game for UCL to generate a bit of publicity over such lazy number-crunching.

slstrong123 and Alice K like this.
  7. colpee

colpee Star commenter

I guess there are a number of possible answers:
    • There are no expensive professional editors; just ‘content supervisors’ with little or no grasp of publishing ethics or standards.
    • Laziness - UCL drop easily published ‘fact’ stories and in they go with little consideration.
    • The editor is ex-UCL.
    • TES people are royally entertained by UCL.
    What else possibly?

8. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

upload_2018-9-9_8-2-19.png

monicabilongame likes this.
  9. koopatroopa

koopatroopa Senior commenter

This is only going to come as a shock to someone who has never had to place pupils into sets in a Secondary school. You can't make up classes purely on previous test results.

10. Vince_Ulam

Has yet to be shown.

11. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

What this might mean is that in a middle set of 30 pupils, the top 5 might be better in a higher set, the bottom 5 might be better in a lower set. Ability is not so completely measurable that you can pinpoint that accurately. In setted science groups I have always felt that there is usually a blurry bit in the dividing range with youngsters who could be in either group.
    Most of the time it doesn't matter because the curriculum content is pretty much the same anyway.

Jamvic, monicabilongame and blazer like this.
  12. install

install Star commenter

The bigger reality is that students have not been in sets in some primary schools - and come out not doing well . So why on earth would the Secondaries continue to use mixed ability if it has already been tried and failed?

monicabilongame likes this.
  13. koopatroopa

koopatroopa Senior commenter

I don't think it can be shown but I understand your point.
    I know very few Secondaries who do use mixed ability. The surprise is that more don't because the evidence suggests it does work.

14. install

install Star commenter

I know a few who use mixed ability but their results are not good in key areas. Those who use setting eg taking reading ages into account do better. Mixed ability does not work for all subjects in secondaries.

Jamvic, colpee and monicabilongame like this.
  15. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

There is a trend for dodgy news at the moment. People few have heard of release summaries of reports from minor organisations, none of which can be verified, using emotive and biased language, and this gets picked up by news organisations and reported as fact. Backhanders? Lazy reporting? Paid-for articles? I don’t know what it is but something is very wrong in TES at the moment. They seem to have lost the will to investigate, probe, be cynical until there is evidence and report objectively. Not good.

16. Vince_Ulam

Eight, in fact.

17. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

I'll pass your comments on to the editorial team.

Jamvic, colpee and Vince_Ulam like this.
  18. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Thanks. I'd love to hear the excuses for their "Sats" fiction. Where did they get that nonsense from?

Do they think we are too stupid to understand "NCTs"?

19. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

Point already made, Markuss. Time to look for another ‘SATS’ thread in need of your powers of correction, I think. :confused:

Is it Tuesday again?

20. gainly

gainly Senior commenter

If the only thing you have to worry about is someone using the name that everyone else does you're very lucky.