1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Standards in TES News 2: Yellow journalism

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Vince_Ulam, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Horrible as we all find the events described in this story, they occurred at least two years ago and were even referred to in Parliament in 2016. Why then are the editors at TES News describing this as an 'Exclusive'?

Exclusive: School staff failed to stop six-year-old playground rapes
    TES.com, 13th September 2018.

While we all deplore coercive sexual behaviour it does no good at all for TES News to permit anonymous, unaccountable people a platform from which they can compare this situation involving the criminally irresponsible behaviour of children, however deplorable that behaviour, with the sickening crimes of the beast Savile:

'Our kids were raped by classmates. The DfE won't listen'
    TES.com, 13th September 2018.

I can understand these parents' anger at what happened but did TES News approach these parents to write the above? Even if they did not, to publish it is the worst kind of exploitative journalism we could fear to read from a previously respected teaching newspaper. Further, the DfE did listen, amending their guidance last year to further protect victims of sexually coercive behaviour in schools.

If the standards of TES News continue this headlong plummet into the yellow journalism of dubious science, clickbait & regurgitated stories then it will become the teaching profession's Huffington Post, and then it will be of no use to anyone. Please pass this along to the editorial team, @TES_Rosaline, and invite them to reply to my questions. We would all like them to restore our faith in this centuried journal and I am sure that they would rather not be known as the people who ran it into the ground.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    elder_cat likes this.
  2. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Your comments have been passed on.

3. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Thank you.

4. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

It's really noticeable how reporting standards have slipped over the last year. What has changed at TES?

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So more and more like what the BBC news website has become?

6. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

I blame the Teachers.

carterkit and Mrsmumbles like this.
  7. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Oh quite, quite. You just can’t get the staff!

8. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Unfortunately @Vince-Ulam that pretty much is modern journalism. Advertisers are kingpins and content is about volume rather than standards.