1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Standardised tests and higher expectations in new curriculum....?!

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Hannah_, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Hannah_

Hannah_ New commenter

Hello,
    On Friday I was showing a consultant the results we had from our 1st Class @ Number intervention. I proudly showed them the Sandwell Assessment results before and after.

He quite rightly pointed out that these assessments were not linked to the new curriculum and whilst could be used as a diagnostic tool, I should not be putting too much weight on this.

Are other people using the other assessments to demonstrate progress instead of these standardised assessments? Expectations are so much higher now, it could be that children who achieve 7 years 1 month in the standardised assessment aren't working at that age at all... As I pointed out, at least it demonstrates progress...

Any thoughts would be welcome!

Hannah

2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

So since no standardised tests are based on the new national curriculum we need to get rid of them? i didn't think any standardised test was based on any curriculum. We use the Sandwell for our interventions as you can target specific areas to what the child needs. Isn't that what interventions are for.
    We use rising stars for termly assessment for the whole class to see if they know what they have been taught that term but that is not the same as assessing them on sandwell.

3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Don't we assess so that children can ACCESS the curruculum ?

4. Hannah_

Hannah_ New commenter

Sandwell also gives them a 'level' but now obviously that is redundant... The standardised tests are expensive and useful as, as you say Wotton, they help us target specific areas to work on - definitely not chucking them out!