1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Standardised Reading Tests for KS3

Discussion in 'English' started by JohnLockwood, Oct 1, 2009.

1. My school is wanting me to produce a load of data and statistics into reading ages and abilities that we can use to track / monitor student progress.

At the moment we use the suffolk reading tests, but I think they are a bit rubbish. Does anyone have any alternatiev ideas for a standarised reading test that might be suitable for KS3 ?

Thanks.

2. My school is wanting me to produce a load of data and statistics into reading ages and abilities that we can use to track / monitor student progress.

At the moment we use the suffolk reading tests, but I think they are a bit rubbish. Does anyone have any alternatiev ideas for a standarised reading test that might be suitable for KS3 ?

Thanks.

3. gruoch

gruoch New commenter

APP?

4. Whatever test you use will only give you a very rough idea of what a student can read. The ones that are suitable for administration to a group are usually comprehension tests. The results may indicate
    1) That a student cannot read the words
    2) That the student doesn't know what the words mean
    3) A combination of 1) & 2)
    4) that they are capable of reading and understanding the words
    Only 4) is reliable.
    Just looked at as data, there is no indication of exactly why an RA is low, so no indication as to what to do about it.
    You certainly cannot link reading ages to 'ability' - unless you are looking solely at reading ability. I work with a pupil who barely scores above RA7 on a sentence completion test, but scores above CA if it is read to him. What does that tell us? Is it that he is 'low ability' or is it just that he cannot read?

I'm no help to you, I'm afraid...

5. Start with KS2 data - then - as gruoch suggests above - use APP to diagnose, monitor, track progress - all directly linked to AFs for reading KS3-KS4.