1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Standard notice time during year

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by SineField, Sep 28, 2018.

1. SineField

SineField Occasional commenter

Am I correct in thinking that the usual time to inform your school that you're looking at moving on is October half term?

2. 576

576 Established commenter

There is no standard in international.
    The school I just left it was January.
    The one before November.
    This one I don't know yet!

3. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

we have just had our email asking for intention to leave or stay. we have to re-sign our contracts in december. if we give early notice then we get an extra $1000, which is nice

4. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

You'll have to read your contract. As above, it differs from place to place. In Europe for example, you may just need the standard notice period for a school employee like in the UK. In other countries it's very early.

5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

In my experience, most schools start making noises in December and then in January they say, "Well, if you don't sign on the dotted line, we will assume that you might be leaving at the end of the academic year and so we are going to start advertising your job." Yes, as T0nyGT has said, there will be things in your contract about the minimum period of warning you should give, but of course many teacherts will want to let their schools know asap.

When I was teaching at a school in Qatar (one school out of a group of rotten apples), the school found out that a particular teacher was thinking of leaving when he or she did not show up for class. "Visiting a friend in Dubai" was the usual excuse for a one-way trip to the airport.