1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Standard confusion

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by flybe, Jun 2, 2011.

1. flybe

flybe New commenter

HI,

I had a couple of questions which I hoped somebody may help out with.

I received satisfactory with good features in PP1. In PP2 my relationship with my mentor has slowly broken down and I have been excluded from the office. There was a period in which my teaching dipped coinciding with no observations feedback and a general lack of direction in how to approach revision classes. I have gradually found that I am mentoring myself and approaching others within the office (unsuccessfully) for snippets of help and support.

I have not felt I have progressed or learned or grown in the last 2 months. I was observed by my uni mentor who found me satisfactory to good after I learned the details of the lesson which was to observed only moments before I left school. My own development is of no concern to any one that I am working with. It is a shame. I am either in or out. Im out.

I feel that I have never been more than satisfactory in this course (and my mentor has never encouraged I aspire above this mindset). 1. Will my final grade stick with me and become an albatross around my neck? Is it asked for in interviews?

2. Lastly - I have no idea how to successfully pass Q13 - My mentor pinned me on this last report but I had no idea what he was saying - I do not know how to meet this or confidently say ' yes, this is what I have done to meet this standard' I thought it was to do with FFT data and my mark book. My mentor states its how i interpret national statistics and then enters into ambiguous explanations. I feel I cannot approach him. Im a teacher of Business - what can I do exactly to satisfy this standard. Which statsistics can I find which are national and where would they be?

2. flybe

flybe New commenter

HI,

I had a couple of questions which I hoped somebody may help out with.

I received satisfactory with good features in PP1. In PP2 my relationship with my mentor has slowly broken down and I have been excluded from the office. There was a period in which my teaching dipped coinciding with no observations feedback and a general lack of direction in how to approach revision classes. I have gradually found that I am mentoring myself and approaching others within the office (unsuccessfully) for snippets of help and support.

I have not felt I have progressed or learned or grown in the last 2 months. I was observed by my uni mentor who found me satisfactory to good after I learned the details of the lesson which was to observed only moments before I left school. My own development is of no concern to any one that I am working with. It is a shame. I am either in or out. Im out.

I feel that I have never been more than satisfactory in this course (and my mentor has never encouraged I aspire above this mindset). 1. Will my final grade stick with me and become an albatross around my neck? Is it asked for in interviews?

2. Lastly - I have no idea how to successfully pass Q13 - My mentor pinned me on this last report but I had no idea what he was saying - I do not know how to meet this or confidently say ' yes, this is what I have done to meet this standard' I thought it was to do with FFT data and my mark book. My mentor states its how i interpret national statistics and then enters into ambiguous explanations. I feel I cannot approach him. Im a teacher of Business - what can I do exactly to satisfy this standard. Which statsistics can I find which are national and where would they be?

3. Not all universities give a final grade, so as long as you pass your PGCE you shouldn't have a problem. Q13 is about understanding national and local data, it's impact within your classroom and strategies you've used in light if this data. For example; "nationally, locally and within my own school, data shows that white working class boys underachieve. In my classroom I use strategies to ensure all students achieve by ......." Or "My school is in an area of social and economic deprivation, X% of students in my school are on free school meals. As a group, children on FSM are shown to underachieve in national, local and school data. The strategies I use are ........" Or "My school is in an urban area, local data shows that there is a higher than average drug and alcohol problem. This concerns me, so as a Form Tutor I have ......... I have also contributed to an Enrichment PSHE activity ......."
    Hope that helps :)

4. flybe

flybe New commenter

That makes so much sense - I am working in an outstanding school in an affluent area. We do not have those issues as much. Who could I talk to at school to collect that kind of data? Or is there a database with those kind of averages somewhere online.

My mentor made reference to how our classes compare to national averages for business studies to track progress? Are we above or below. Again I'm not sure where I can find this data?

At present, would you include FFT data or is this irrelevant to this standard? I use mainly FFT to understand where the pupils should be going? (And thats all).

5. Yep - you could look at data for your subject, nationally, in your LA and school. You could look to see if there is a difference in achievement by gender in your subject? The Head of Department should have this type of information from when they have done results analyse. Is there an exams officer or data manager? Try and get someone at the school to help you, at least point you in the right direction of where to look. Good luck :)