1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stand alone lesson year six - english

Discussion in 'Primary' started by hayleyrm, Jan 23, 2012.

1. hayleyrm

hayleyrm New commenter

Hi guys,
    just after a little bit of feedback on my idea if you can help please! i have to teach a stand alone lesson to a year six class and the subject i have been given is 'english language' and a 50 minute time limit. I have planned to teach an oracy strand as I don't the class to be too bogged down with writing as I will be an unfamiliar teacher.
    Ive decided to do a debate lesson on what I am sure is a very standard subject - School uniforms.
    My plan is to show the statement, discuss the idea, show some opinions and discuss, come up with at least one for and against each to put on a postit on a relevant board and then come back together before seperating again for a short debate. Does that sound ok?
    Also a little cocerned about ' success criteria' - Im not sure what we can have for this!! I have my WALT as: express an opinion and consider the opinion of others
    using the format of a debate.I
    Finally - my plenary as I have little time I was simply thinking about a traffic lights exercise each pupil willbe invited to add their name to red, orange, green as they feel they have performed.... How does that sound?
    Any opinions and comments welcomed.
    Thanks friends
    Haylz

2. hayleyrm

hayleyrm New commenter

Hi guys,
    just after a little bit of feedback on my idea if you can help please! i have to teach a stand alone lesson to a year six class and the subject i have been given is 'english language' and a 50 minute time limit. I have planned to teach an oracy strand as I don't the class to be too bogged down with writing as I will be an unfamiliar teacher.
    Ive decided to do a debate lesson on what I am sure is a very standard subject - School uniforms.
    My plan is to show the statement, discuss the idea, show some opinions and discuss, come up with at least one for and against each to put on a postit on a relevant board and then come back together before seperating again for a short debate. Does that sound ok?
    Also a little cocerned about ' success criteria' - Im not sure what we can have for this!! I have my WALT as: express an opinion and consider the opinion of others
    using the format of a debate.I
    Finally - my plenary as I have little time I was simply thinking about a traffic lights exercise each pupil willbe invited to add their name to red, orange, green as they feel they have performed.... How does that sound?
    Any opinions and comments welcomed.
    Thanks friends
    Haylz

3. Do you know the class, and are they well-behaved? This could be brilliant, but I would be wary of a lesson where the children don't feel like they have to 'do' anything. Make sure that you have written prompts for each section for the IWB. Use partner work and make sure that each child gets a turn to write on a post-it. Have a back-up plan in case you don't get the response you want from the class, eg they could use the ideas to produce a persuasive leaflet either for or against uniforms.

4. hayleyrm

hayleyrm New commenter

Thank you for your reply.
    I will be honest this is for an interview lesson. I have taught in the school many times and am known to most pupils however I have not taught there this year.
    I am taking a risk here with this as it is potentially enticing a riot but having worked in some very difficult schools I hope and think that my behaviour management skills should be up to it! I will be setting my boundaries very clear within the first two minutes and sticking to them like glue!!
    As for the lesson I have adjusted it slightly to include the pupils being given statements that they will have to read and decided are the for/against before standing on the appropriate side of the room ready to write their postit and debate soon after. That way they are ready split, given their 'side' and have an idea to write ona post it if they get stuck!
    As for pair work one of my openers is to as the children to use talk partners to discuss the stament before I introduce the idea of debate then I am planning to 'popcorn' views before showing the WALT.
    My main concern is to try and avoid too much writing, I am up last with my lesson the third of the day for this poor group and I am directly after lunch so I'd like them to be as active and involved as possible!!
    Haylz