1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stand alone lesson - The Highway man

Discussion in 'Primary' started by hayleyrm, Jan 20, 2012.

1. hayleyrm

hayleyrm New commenter

Hi all, Just wondering if you guys here can help out with some advice on a stand alone lesson.
    Ive been asked to teach a year six class next week for just one lesson; ive been given the option to plan myself and it will need to be an englsih langauge lesson,
    I am really keen to do the 'Highway man' poem and hoping to get some performance poetry out of the pupils from it. Basically id like to invite the pupils in with a dramatic reading and discussion of the poem before setting groups of four a verse to perform in any way they feel suitable before putting together the final performance as a class. ( I know we will only do part of the poem this way)
    Does anyone have any views on this? Do you think it will work and fit in with outcomes etc Im thinking oral strand - performace to an audience; develop understanding of language in genre.
    views anyone?
    Thanks in advance
    Haylz

2. hayleyrm

hayleyrm New commenter

Hi all, Just wondering if you guys here can help out with some advice on a stand alone lesson.
    Ive been asked to teach a year six class next week for just one lesson; ive been given the option to plan myself and it will need to be an englsih langauge lesson,
    I am really keen to do the 'Highway man' poem and hoping to get some performance poetry out of the pupils from it. Basically id like to invite the pupils in with a dramatic reading and discussion of the poem before setting groups of four a verse to perform in any way they feel suitable before putting together the final performance as a class. ( I know we will only do part of the poem this way)
    Does anyone have any views on this? Do you think it will work and fit in with outcomes etc Im thinking oral strand - performace to an audience; develop understanding of language in genre.
    views anyone?
    Thanks in advance
    Haylz

3. Won't they already have done the Highway Man by Y6? It's a very common poem to do......

4. hayleyrm

hayleyrm New commenter

This is my problem, Im not sure!!! I havent taught in the school for a while!!
    As a stand alone lesson though based on performance woudl this still not be ok- perhaps an understanding of the story already woudl help?
    hx

5. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

If they've never covered it, it can take a few times for them to 'get' the poem, particularly the finer inference points, such as Tim going and telling the King's guards.
    If they've already covered it, they might not be especially bothered about going back and doing it again - they will almost certainly have used drama to explore it if they have covered it - so enagement could be low.
    Pick another one, maybe. Jabberwocky? Always popular.

6. hayleyrm

hayleyrm New commenter

Thansk for your input guys, I'm thinking it is maybe a too risky an option to go with teh highway man and I'm not sure I know another pom well enough to tackle that.
    I am not thinking a change of idea- perhaps a debate- just need to settle on a topic- or a fractured fairytale type drama performance. I would like to keep it oracy as it is a stand alone lesson I don't want to bog the children down with too much wrting and not be able to mark it sufficently.

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

For performance 'The Charge of the Light Brigade' can work very well. And it isn't long so you could easily learn it by next week.