1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stakeholder pension

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by jacob, Mar 8, 2012.

1. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

I took out one of these when they came out in 2001. I have just looked at what I have paid in and what it is worth currently. It works out at an accrual rate of about 3% per year. Is this another scandal? I reckon if I had put the same amount in an ISA over this time it would be worth more. Why do we get ripped off again and agin by these big companies? Answer because they can. I have read the thread about Pru AVCs, i have one of those as well, which looks like it will be worth sweet FA when I retire. Even property (outside London) is not making money, yet someone is judging off the returns of the banks even after the hit they take over PPI. I am ****** off.

2. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

It has never occurred to me to do this. What made you think of it in the first place? I wish I had known sooner.

3. Would you not find yourself having to pay income tax in two countries, though?

4. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Interesting stuff about EU providers. I had no idea either. Do British so-called "idependent advisers" know this stuff? I might mention it next time I see him.

5. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Ditto Jacob's post.

Given that some economies are managing better than Britian's (I think Australia's mining industry is booming atm) should I be investing there?