1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stagnating and school won't allow me on training courses

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by AbbieH, Sep 14, 2019.

1. AbbieH

AbbieH New commenter

Hi

I have been teaching science for 9 years and am very successful at turning a failing dept into good to outstanding. The problem is I don't want this to be the only thing that I do and schools employ me for. I need to do something else to grow as a teacher.

I am very passionate about enrichment opportunities and would love to be more involved in careers guidance but my current school is not interested and turns down all requests for training during school time regardless of how good the business argument is for the development of students.

If anyone has any suggestions on any training that might be beneficial I would love to hear. I am willing to pay for my own courses but they have to be online or outside of school hours.

Thank you

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Apply for promoted posts in other schools.

Simples

3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

School I know best uses non-teaching staff to deliver work related education. I think they're good, but obviously cost a lot less than teachers.

4. starlightexpress

starlightexpress Occasional commenter

I’ve not had training in school time, apart from advanced safeguarding and similar, for 10 years. This is since being in roles post DH level. I do have an agreed course pending now I’m in a new MAT.

For all of those years, I’ve seen the experiences as ongoing ‘training’. Like you, my experience has been turning around failing contexts.

When I’ve not been ‘fulfilled’, I’ve moved contexts. At one point I did non education linked training outside of school.

I guess your school is getting what they want from you and don’t see your training suggestions as meeting the needs of the school. It won’t change. Therefore, it’s moving on or moving to self funded training outside of work hours. Good luck, I’m sure you’ll find something.

5. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

Looks like they are holding you back in your current school- meet with the HT and thank them for the opportunity, but it’s time that you move forward with your career and would like their support with a reference in respect to new employment- you need to tell your HT before you apply for any role anyway.
    I know of a couple of teachers who have done this before and it hasn’t gone down well with their prospective employer when you mention that they haven’t informed their current HT.

6. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Seize the initiative and start something new?

I know a biology teacher who started up a network with local science companies, university departments and schools. That led to an annual public biology event with input from lots of companies as well as local schools, hosted by his school. Lots of opportunity there to learn more about science careers and promote them.

What sort of courses were you wanting to go on?

7. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Are you active within ASE or RSC or whatever? You could consider some reading and self study?
    Or what about doing Chartered Science Teacher qualification? City & Guilds Professional Recognition Award?