1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'Staggeringly high' numbers of teachers threatening to quit the classroom

Discussion in 'Personal' started by FrankWolley, May 29, 2017.

1. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

@secretsiren so frustrating for you. Is it worth flagging this up with your line manager so they can talk to these Year 11s before they disappear?

secretsiren and FrankWolley like this.
  2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

And we wonder why our children are not getting jobs? they make themselves dam well unemployable.

3. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

My job recently seems to be more about persuading children to do things than it is to teach them.
    As far as I'm concerned, I planned the lessons (for the whole department), produced goodness knows how many resources, ran revision classes every week for these little punks, spent HOURS of my own time 'helping' them...to be smacked in the face. I think if anything that I am angrier with the parents and colleges; teenagers are daft sometimes and often make stupid decisions because they believe everything will work out OK. Their parents and the colleges must know that telling children that it doesn't matter (one parent even tried to get their kid out of the exam entirely, apparently) has an appalling impact on my subject area, the school results as a whole, me personally...and yet they don't give a damn.

4. templing

templing Occasional commenter

Quite. It is a very sad situation, and people/workers (in general, not just in teaching) are slowly sleep-walking into a potentially nightmarish scenario.

The successive representatives of neoliberalism (the Tories of course but also New Labour under Blair) and exponents of the Dīvide et īmpera doctrine are slowly leading society where they’ve been secretly dreaming to take it since the late 1970’s: to its final atomisation, so that being unionised or affiliated to a professional body will mean very little as society will be so fragmented that the traditional support structures, even if they exist on paper, will have been rendered largely useless. Welcome to the “gig economy” on a giant scale…

It echoes Pierre Bourdieu’s theory on neoliberalism (circa 1980’s), best summarised in his 1998 Le Monde Diplomatique essay on the essence of “mature neoliberalism" (https://www.monde-diplomatique.fr/1998/03/BOURDIEU/3609), to wit (I summarise) that neoliberalism, when "fully formed" and translated into a political programme, advocates cutting off the economy from social realities with a view, in fine, to engineer a “destruction méthodique des collectifs” (a methodical destruction of collectives*, i.e the structures that hinder the logic of free market – eg unions but also, by extension: workers’ rights, contract legislation, conditions of service framework etc.).

[*In “The Essence of Neoliberalism”, Pierre Bourdieu characterizes a mature form of political neoliberalism as “a programme of the methodological destruction of the collective” (Bourdieu). Moreover, “neoliberalism tends on the whole to favour severing the economy from social realities and thereby constructing, in reality, an economic system conforming to its description in pure theory, that is a sort of logical machine that presents itself as a chain of constraints regulating economic agents” (Bourdieu)].

The above asterisked bit in brackets is taken from:
    https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=fyTXCoiaAe4C&pg=PA101&lpg=PA101&dq=Bourdieu+neoliberalism+tends+to+favour&source=bl&ots=T5peGbcU-d&sig=gV_s9IhLtr6EwLP2BhY4Bw9KSfQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi3r_7h0c7TAhVpJ8AKHagHAx8Q6AEIJDAA#v=onepage&q=Bourdieu neoliberalism tends to favour&f=false

5. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I was fuming with the parents who allowed their offspring to buy the new Call of Duty game and stay up all night playing it before their GCSE exam in my subject. They did at least turn up and try to answer some questions, even if they did have a night without sleep beforehand.

6. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Lead commenter

Probably not but of course these days you can become a Head of a large Comp having only taught for five minutes.
    A sign of the times.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. templing

Quite...

This Jack Hickey really is priceless, isn't he. He is not even remotely believable... At one point, he says: “In terms of funding cuts, it’s not really mentioned in the school.

Yeah right, I’m sure the deliriously happy Head & staff spend their time planning how they're going to use the vast budget surplus they have at the end of each financial year…

8. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Perhaps the school needs to write formal letters to the parents of all those entered into exams telling them of what is expected (before the exam season)? They could hint that failure to comply would be mentioned in any references needed in future... (Not much of a threat, but charging them the exam cost isn't feasible, sadly...)

9. templing

This one's good as well:

In terms of funding cuts, it’s not really mentioned in the school. We are very British – we just get on.

Yes of course, let’s all collectively summon the good old Dunkirk spirit in staffrooms, that sure will get us and the kids very far with education…

[​IMG]
    all staff rooms should have the above sign on the walls.

10. templing

Or this one:

I think having a strong male role model, especially in the schools I’ve worked in, is so important.

Such a strong role model that our Jack wants to leave teaching after only two years…

11. templing

This one wins hands down though:

When I’m campaigning, people seem pleased I’m not a solicitor. Parliament seems to be overloaded with solicitors and lawmakers

Yep, that’s right Jack, very observant of you, there tends to be plenty of lawmakers in a parliament…

Definition of lawmaker (online dict.): a person who makes or helps to make laws; esp., a member of a legislature; legislator

[​IMG]

12. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

It has been a problem (unity) for some time now and the unions still keep taking the money. Can the unions not afford a publicity campaign? Now would be an excellent time to highlight the dire state of education.

13. Tinycat1234

Tinycat1234 Occasional commenter

So true. I want my kids to be taught by happy people... How awful that the majority of teachers feel their job has negatively impacts on their mental health. However well meaning, how can you truly be there for children if you're so stressed?

14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I think most teacher really are "there" for the children.

Unfortunately this particular government is not there for teachers.

15. Tinycat1234

Tinycat1234 Occasional commenter

Yep so no doubt they will spend a fortune paying for some research to find out what they should already know. They will then focus on a tiny piece of that research and spend a fortune trying to 'fix it'. Meanwhile they fail to simply tackle workload and pay. Simple. Pay us a little more so we can afford our rent. Reduce our workload so we can actually function...

racroesus likes this.
  16. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

Yes, perhaps.
    But lord, how depressing to spell out to children that deliberately and wantonly failing an exam through choice is not the way to go. And even more depressing that parents tell their kids that deliberately and wantonly failing an exam is the way to go.
    And the fact that my department's results have been average for the past few years and my job is hanging by a thread...well, that just makes it so much worse. I did my bit. I worked my bum off. I can't believe that they just walked in and sat there. I'm going to be in the unenviable position of trying to explain why those kids cared so little for my subject that they couldn't even pick up a pen.

17. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

They should be charged for the wasted exam fees.

FrankWolley and secretsiren like this.
  18. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I'd be deflecting it to 'they cared so little for the school that...' and 'they have so little faith in the worth of the examinations/schooling/education that they....'. Be very useful if you can find similar anecdotes about other subjects.

Good luck!

bombaysapphire likes this.
  19. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

Cant remember any government which has really been for the teachers.They all seem to praise you in public and smack you in the gools under the desk.