1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'Staggeringly high' numbers of teachers threatening to quit the classroom

Discussion in 'Personal' started by FrankWolley, May 29, 2017.

1. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

This!! This!

I want to get home to listen to MY children read, have time with my husband of an evening. At weekends, I need to be able to see my MIL and FIL who are ill, and need my help with chores.

BUT all sectors of employment have suffered in the same way.

I am currently on ZHC as a tutor through LA. Partner is temp worker, and can be called out at weekends. Working conditions are precarious/poor for many sectors. Insecure hours= insecure wages which impacts on rent, food etc.

Lara mfl 05 and Anonymity like this.
  2. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

With all of this in plain sight, why are the unions NOT bringing it to the fore?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

Sounds perfect.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. templing

templing Occasional commenter

The big problem in Britain, as in most other Western countries, is that so many people have become disengaged from politics and/or depoliticised (in the broader sense of the word) or de-unionised (not necessarily in terms of % but commitment-wise) that they have little idea what goes on around them. Over 1/3 of people do not bother to vote at General Elections (and it’s about 40% for the under 35-40’s) and as much as 70–80% of the electorate regularly abstain from voting in local government elections. At the Stoke Central by-election 3 months ago, nearly 2/3 of registered voters abstained, probably the same people who regularly complain that “they are ignored by Westminster and are never consulted”. According to the Hansard Society (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22555659), 3/4 of people can’t even name their MP…

Those disengaged people (sadly, this includes a lot of teachers, too many IMO) rarely share views and discuss them with others outside of their sphere of knowledge/interest, do not really listen to other workers/professionals and do not seek to know what’s really happening out there beyond the media headlines. Too often, teachers explaining to them the ins and outs of education and thereby offering them a valuable insight into the system (and inevitably raising concerns about the way things are going) are seen as “moaners” (privileged ones at that, with our "strong protective unions", our "good salaries", long hols, insultingly short days and “gold-plated pensions”…). It's very much a "them and us" kind of scenario I've found, and it's demoralising as you feel you cannot get through to them despite being on the same side as them as it were.

These people seem to be indifferent to the world around them and seem to think that systems (such as the education system) exist in a void and whatever happens in that particularly system is unlikely to affect them much, even if they have kids of school age. They may feel a degree of discontentment as well, or have “a proper beef”, towards the system for whatever reason, but if they do somehow there is a disconnect between their own legitimate grievances (eg this parent complaining of her child being taught by a TA) and our (generally) and increasingly negative day-to-day experience of the system, views that many of us dare not voice too vocally anymore for fear of being accused, yet again, of “whingeing” (although things are changing and people are a tad more sympathetic to teachers, and less judgemental towards us, as they can see the bigger picture now ie their own personal situation deteriorating, but the awareness has been very slow…).

The big education changes are now well over a decade old (they started in earnest in 2010 but before that really if we put the marker with Blair introducing the academies in the mid-2000’s*, the forerunner of the horrendous education system that the Tories have created now, aided and abetted by Labour) yet many people are still incredibly blissfully unaware of the effects of these massive changes and the realities of this system even if they have a stake in it.

Time to wake up everybody!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

I am fed up with these reports. Why don't they, someone, anyone do something constructive about the stress, the bullying and the constant raid on teachers pay and conditions?:(:(:(

Anonymity, oldsomeman and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. delmamerchant

Never a true word spoken

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. delmamerchant

Why would Brexit affect this? One of the issues re the EU was in some EU countries, inexperienced people were given qts despite their degrees not being the equivalent to ours, (so my EU colleagues have told me)straight into schools no training needed. This is not a criticism just an observation in response to your Brexit comment.

oldsomeman likes this.
  8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

How many EU teachers are there? In 27 u
    Years I have only encountered 2. One was spanish and was a bl**dy nightmare. The other was Greek. He knew is stuff but thought he was far too good to teaching here and had only come here because the Greek economy was in the toilet.

oldsomeman and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  9. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

The trouble is, who should do something? Teachers are pretty powerless...(Though fewer Unions would be a start).

10. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I met quite a few, mostly (of course) in MFL departments, but not just there. As this was mostly in selective schools (& a couple of independent schools) I wonder if they employed native speaker MFL teachers because they knew that not all British MFL teachers actually speak their languages well...

(Don't shoot me, just reporting what Mrs FW has frequently said over the years!;))

11. templing

12. templing

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2017/may/30/standing-general-election-teachers

Five teachers – Tory, Labour, Lib Dem and Green – explain why they have left the chalk face for the campaign trail

“A primary school teacher, Hickey qualified two years ago and has taught at Blackthorn academy in Northampton since last October. He is standing for the Conservatives in Leicester West and sits on theConservative Education Society committee.”

2 years and he wants out already…

Can’t blame him TBH, teaching has become awful (in no small part because of his own party...) and Blackthorn Academy was put in Special Measures 3 months ago.

schoolsout4summer likes this.
  13. templing

Sorry, it's 11 months ago but their Section 8 Inspection report following the interim February inspection is not exactly complimentary, so I can see why he wants out.

14. Caligraphy

Caligraphy Occasional commenter

They are trying. Unions are limited by the amount of support they get from their members. I would imagine that teaching is one of the few professions that have (I hope) pretty much all of the staff as members of a union, however as a group of people we are weak. Whilst I agree that there are too many unions and other professional organisations, it's easy for teachers as individuals to ask 'where are the unions'. I as an activist, often scratch my head and ask 'where are my colleagues' when attending a meeting that has maybe 10 people attending and about 4 of those are retired members. If, instead of watching our direct debit going out of our accounts every month to pay our union fees, got off our backsides, and attended meetings and supported our unions when they are fighting against things that are going on in our schools which we all know are clearly a disgrace then they may have more teeth. Our schools can ignore the unions and treat anyone who is brave enough to be open about their membership like dirt, if they are thought to be acting for a very few number of staff. I guarantee they would think twice if all of the union membership in a school stood firm and stood together. Union membership doesn't have to be a reflection of your political beliefs. Supporting them and what they are trying to do just recognises that some schools have become terrible places for people to work, and quite frankly, for our children to attend.

lizziescat and schoolsout4summer like this.
  15. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Lead commenter

Blimey! You couldn't make it up !

16. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

The young conservative teacher is a wally.......he thinks things are fine and is campaigning for more male teachers........there are far more important issues in schools than that...........and the praised assessment sytem is one of them!

templing likes this.
  17. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

Well, having wandered into work today so sort out a few things, I spoke to a Year 11 student who was in for some extra revision. Turns out that at least four of our cohort didn't write a single thing in their English Literature exam last week. Apparently they'd been told by parents/colleges/whoever that Literature isn't important so they don't need be bother.

So I look like a f******g jackass because THEY ARE LAZY LITTLE TYKES and their parents are completely stupid.

I am so freaking angry right now, I could chew glass.

templing and yodaami2 like this.
  18. Caligraphy

Caligraphy Occasional commenter

But people will still vote for him. You can't legislate against stupidity.

19. MonMothma

MonMothma Established commenter

Does 2 years experience of primary teaching qualify you as an experienced teacher able to make comments on the entire education system?

20. yodaami2

yodaami2 Established commenter

Well not like really. I feel your pain. And you know YOU will get the blame. You didn't inspire them to......... Angry on your behalf.:mad:

templing likes this.