1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'Staggeringly high' numbers of teachers threatening to quit the classroom

Discussion in 'Personal' started by FrankWolley, May 29, 2017.

1. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I can understand your angst.
    I have pondered on qualifications appropriate for a teacher or lecturer for some time now and I seriously wonder if a first class degree qualification may be too high a qualification to teach in a school or FE College. A person of that calibre might be academically 'unstretched' teaching even at A level or equivalent. If so, the impact on performance in the classroom might tend towards casual.
    The desire to teach and the ability to teach are IMO., at least as important. Obviously a teacher or Lecturer must have appropriate life skills, experience and qualifications to do the job but at what levels and HOW, do you make a determination of what is appropriate?

2. Anonymity

Anonymity Occasional commenter

That's a worry of mine. That I could work somewhere nice, but I feel 'damaged' that the fight and flight response will strike when there is no need.

I had already gone down to 3 days, but the workload barely changed. I was planning slightly less, but still expected to plan for the year group. Assessments still came around and while these were shared with my jobshare, extra time communicating with my jobshare and discussing liaising etc. filled the time saved. As well as this, SLT thought my two days 'holiday' each week was perfect for me to do all of the other jobs they expected. I am worn down with pointing out that I was trying to top up my smaller wage by working elsewhere on those other days.

I hate the thought that my childrens' teachers might be crying on their way too and from work, or struggling to get through the day :(. I used to love my job, now I feel broken.

3. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

It took me about a year to fully 'recover' from the stress that lead up to me having some time off work. My favourite point of that process was when I hit the point of mentally feeling like I was back to being me and then the final point where I realised all of my physical symptoms had gone.

With that being done I then likened it to having had a serious injury on something like a knee/shoulder. You may fully recover from that but every now and then you might feel a twinge on the site of the injury if you've really gone for it without proper warming up. The sort of thing where you might have to accept one or two limints in certain conditions and you might need to adapt how you do things but can otherwise continue. As well as having to accept that the joint is now weaker and that should you start doing things again that are similar to what caused the injury you are a little more prone to re-injuring the joint. Does that make sense?

You will get back to being the full version of you, and it will be great. It'll take the amount of time that it does and it's not worth rushing or compairing to someone else. How much time will depend on how serious the strain was on you and loads of other factors. Don't let it worry you, although I can totally appreciate that it will dispite me saying that, just focus on being yourself as much as possible. :)

4. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

The Tories are promising to bear down on workload and forgive student loans for teachers. If you believe in the Easter bunny and fairies then you will think the teacher retention problem solved...

5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

i to have a daughter who worked had god a good degree i forensics and moicro biologically.For the system failed as government policy made sure she was unable to take up a career in that area.Its wasn't down tot he teaching or school she failed to leave......instead she became a dolly with the trolly and travelled extensively as flight crew.
    I worked hard to stop be becoming a teacher as I realised the way the system was going.....so i would be guilty of that......but I do not blame the school or the quality of the teachers.
    The potential to be and become a great teacher is there..but till the system is fixed I see no point of recommending folks to take up what is otherwise in m y mind a wonderful career.

Lara mfl 05 and bonkers 704 like this.
  6. oldsomeman

The labour part didn't actually help to much that I remember, when Ed the Balls was in place?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. oldsomeman

Education has seen gradual deterioration as each political party had tinkered with the system..whatever their excuse

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

Sometimes the simple things in life (like time to relax) are more valuable than money and status. I have done similar, working as a TA although qualified and capable of teaching, in order to spend time with my children.

When will the government realise the answer to the recruitment crisis is to cut teachers' hours/workload?

9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Better...stop changing all the courses so they are not so dull and so long.

10. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I really enjoyed the relatively un-pressured environment when supply teaching in special schools. There were 2 or three TAs per class of 9-14 children, and if anyone 'kicked off' a TA simply manoevred them from the room. The teachers were not blamed for the behavioural issues of the pupils.

My niece moved to teaching in a Special school after her NQT year. She would never go back to mainstream. Her working day is better, she has fewer pupils to assess and she gets an SEN pay premium to boot. If the class dynamic is poor and there is little prospect of learning taking place, she is authorised by SLT to take the class outside for a run around, take them to the local park, take them in the school minibus to the nearby coast etc. She has access to funding to buy birthday cakes for her pupils (some have never had one before coming to the school) and can spend class time letting them experience a birthday party.
    She actually has time after school to continue with the 1:1 paid tuition that she took on in her NQT year.

11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I still enjoy my teaching job I as I have a good SLT, decent colleagues and decent kids.

When I stop caring about how my mob do in exams and I lose my sense of humour, I'll be out the door pronto.

12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

A columnist in the DT, today, suggested that we need to know why teaching is not able to hold onto teachers. You cannot find this out from teachers. Obviously, since governments haven't been able to find out what the problems are from teachers for decades.

Tinycat1234 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  13. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I saw on another forum that a parent was complaining that her child was being taught by a Teaching Assistant and had been for half a term. The school was apparently, unable to recruit for September. She was surprised that this was allowed to continue. I'd guess that the Head would prefer a competent TA who knows the children well and won't break the budget.

Until the general public really take on board that this is now the reality and completely accept that teachers can no longer manage workloads, changes in curriculum, budget cuts et al, the situation won't improve.

And in the meantime, generations of children will suffer from not having the expertise they deserve and from the low expectation of behaviour that is endemic now because of the 'entitled' generations.

14. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

A quote from the report:

Professor Becky Francis, director of the UCL Institute of Education said the prospect of taking longer to achieve qualified teacher status (QTS) may be off-putting to some would-be teachers.

Instead, she suggested there could be a scheme where an initial QTS is awarded at the end of teacher training and then again at further stages of development, which recognise a teacher’s work and progress.

Doesn't this woman know anything about teaching? There is the threshold and further progression up the UPS which recognises teachers' expertise and experience. Or it would if schools could afford to promote teachers up the scale. As for the further stages of development, will teachers have to do even more paperwork to prove they have reached a certain stage. Who's going to assess and grade this progression? What's performance management for then? I get fed up with these academics and their bright ideas about teaching when they have absolutely no idea what at a day at the chalkface is like.

Lara mfl 05, Anonymity and dunnocks like this.
  15. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

It would allow classes of teacher: gain TA status first to be a teacher Class 1 and then work up. Suddenly there are many more teachers. Then the same can be done with medical staff to give classes of doctor.

16. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

How would parents feel about their kids taught by the lowest grade teachers when they would want them taught by the 'consultants'.

17. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter Forum guide

And on what research evidence does she base her claim that it could be to do with the lengthen of training?

I have respect for university based educationalists , where they can professionally, critically assess, peer review and then disseminate evidence based research (time not available to full time teachers) . If they cannot base their views on such evidence, what is the point .

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  18. MrMedia

MrMedia Lead commenter

Market forces really. The answer will be that leadership and management training has to change.

Churn and recruitment issues are a cost to the school and to the pupils. You can blame ofsted and government reform all you like, but if you can't lead and manage staff successfully then you have to see that the problem lies with yourself. That there is a national problem tells you there is a national problem with the pay, terms, and conditions of teachers. Under national bargaining this used to be something one could manage. Now with the Academy Act 2010, this is down at a local level - badly, over and over and over again up and down the country.

Without a new act of parliament, the answer is that the training of leadership and management has to change.

8-5.30 maximum working hours, no email, no marking, no planning, no form filling outside of these hours. No PRP, no lesson grading and family friendly policies. And then qualified, well trained teachers can certainly deliver an excellent education within those conditions.

Inspirit, lizziescat and Anonymity like this.
  19. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

They would be taught by teachers, the class would not be mentioned. Except for the lucky few.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  20. silkywave

silkywave Occasional commenter

I think young teachers are sad to discover that students generally do not give them much respect. It can be earned but they will be worn out by the process.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.