1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stage amplification

Discussion in 'Music' started by CeciliaKovacs, Jul 28, 2019.

1. CeciliaKovacs

CeciliaKovacs New commenter

Sorry if this has been asked before but I can't find a relevant thread on it. We are a two entry primary with a single school hall, wooden floor, it just about takes all our children squeezed together from Nursery to Year 6. High ceiling, a smallish stage at the front and no curtains. We have a good, functioning sound system with two wireless hand-held microphones, and I am told they are the cheapest of the cheap, no wonder it struggles to pick things up. We do productions, 3 times a year, plus all the class assemblies and concerts on the top. It's beyond me why has nobody thought of getting decent stage mics, and I am no expert in shopping for these. Any recommendations out there as for what type of systems work best and what brands are worth buying in these austere times that are good value for money? Is renting viable (quite pricey!)? Any second hand shops worth looking in in London?
    I would appreciate any form of help on this. Thanks.

2. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

We hired extra lighting once and that was pricey (several hundred pounds for the week) but we haven’t hired sound equipment before.

I imagine that the mics which are attached to individuals are expensive - and they also need someone to control/adjust the sound and trouble-shoot during a performance (if there’s a problem).

Do you have any links with a secondary school which may be willing to share equipment or expertise with you?