1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stage 2 weaning, what's next?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by wormburger, Feb 25, 2011.

1. I've been weaning my 24 week old for just over a month now and have stuck to 2 meals a day - breakfast and tea - of baby rice and/or fruit and/or veg purees. I have done every combination I can think of lots of times and still have plenty of cubes of the stuff in the freezer to last the next few weeks. I have found this stage to be quite straight forward and have felt quite confident introducing new fruit and veg as it all seemed quite 'safe'.
    Basically, I wondering where to go next? She has a very good appetite and will eat at least 5 ice cubes worth at each meal, sometimes with a couple more or some mashed banana as a pudding at teatime. She has water out of a sippy cup, altho most of it ends up down her front! The Health Visitors seem quite unhelpful, in that they just say that she can have 'anything' from 6 months, but I have been going so slowly I feel that I should introduce the other food groups slowly too but I'm not sure how to go about it.
    My intention is to start her on lunch in a couple of weeks and for that to be finger food, probably whatever I'm eating so toast, bagels, pasta, etc.maybe with some kind of cheese spread or sauce. But is it a bad idea to introduce two new foods at one lunchtime? Should I do dairy for a week or so before we move on to starchy foods? And what about protein?!
    I'm a bit confused! Any help gratefully received!

2. I've been weaning my 24 week old for just over a month now and have stuck to 2 meals a day - breakfast and tea - of baby rice and/or fruit and/or veg purees. I have done every combination I can think of lots of times and still have plenty of cubes of the stuff in the freezer to last the next few weeks. I have found this stage to be quite straight forward and have felt quite confident introducing new fruit and veg as it all seemed quite 'safe'.
    Basically, I wondering where to go next? She has a very good appetite and will eat at least 5 ice cubes worth at each meal, sometimes with a couple more or some mashed banana as a pudding at teatime. She has water out of a sippy cup, altho most of it ends up down her front! The Health Visitors seem quite unhelpful, in that they just say that she can have 'anything' from 6 months, but I have been going so slowly I feel that I should introduce the other food groups slowly too but I'm not sure how to go about it.
    My intention is to start her on lunch in a couple of weeks and for that to be finger food, probably whatever I'm eating so toast, bagels, pasta, etc.maybe with some kind of cheese spread or sauce. But is it a bad idea to introduce two new foods at one lunchtime? Should I do dairy for a week or so before we move on to starchy foods? And what about protein?!
    I'm a bit confused! Any help gratefully received!

3. We did baby led weaning and as soon as she hit six months she was allowed pretty much anything (within reason of course!) She had philadelphia sandwiches, houmous on toast with grated carrot, unsalted rice cakes, sticks of cucumber, ripe pear- you name it. Is she ready for finger food? If so just go for it! Let her experiment and play with the food and don't be disheartened if more ends up on the floor than in her tummy! It's so much fun sharing food with your baby. I'm pretty sure the only things you need to avoid at this age are honey, uncooked meat/eggs, unpasteurised things, and salt.

4. We've just moved on to stage 2 a couple of weeks ago. I started with dairy. Yogurt for a pudding, then started to add cheese sauce to his usual vegetables. Next came meat. I can heartily recomend Annabel Karmels Chicken and Apricot puree, LO loves that. I have bought some baby stock from Boots although you can get it in the supermarket where the baby food is. I have written loads of nice receipes down from the internet and I'm just making loads of stuff. I whizz up things that we are having before we season it which is quite easy. Spag bol, fish pie, casserole etc. They really can have everything and I have been suprised that he seems to like stronger flavours too.
    I have also started to give him baby pasta [gluten free] and rice although I have a problem in that whenever I give him anything startchy he gets constipated. Not sure what to do about that!
    We are still on purees, I'm not going to bother with finger food for a bit longer as Lo doesn't seem ready and gags himself on everything. He is 26 weeks.

5. Why gluten free? I ask out of interest as I am coeliac and was advised by my dietician to give her gluten from 6 months- it's fine- as if she's going to have a reaction she needs to eat the gluten first...

6. Phew- was having a major guilty panic until I found this:
    Gluten can be introduced from six months old - there are no benefits for delaying having gluten in the diet for any longer. Once a baby is established on solid foods, gluten should be eaten regularly as coeliac disease can only be diagnosed once gluten is in the diet. A diagnosis can be made quickly and easily if symptoms do occur.
    on the coeliac uk website.

7. My HV advised gluten free for now as he struggles with constipation. I wasn't sure about it but thought it wouldn't do any harm for now.