1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

staffroom

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by neanderthal, Jun 18, 2011.

1. I'm a new Head in a private school - so not quite subject to the same rules and regulations as others. My question is: As a new Head, I've got four quick but important improvements for staff, students, parents and admin in our school (developed from discussions). However, as a teacher before promotions, I feel our staff room is a weakness. It's a dumping ground for furniture etc that no longer fits anywhere else, it's messy and disorganised, it serves multiple purposes - storage, rest, eating without really doing any of them well. My main concern is that our staff are not always as 'professional' as I'd like them to be and that I feel the staff room contributes to this subconciously. It feels like a student common room - dirty mugs and mess. Having been there as a teacher, I feel it - it's hard to keep it clean when it feels like a relucant add-on to the school. I would like to remodel the entire room but at least one member of the board (who must sign off on some of the budget items - including non-academic items like major renovations) doesn't feel it's justified as staff don't keep it tidy as it is! (Chicken or egg - I'm not sure which came first). What I would like is annecdotal (or even better, non-annecdotal) evidence that the state of a staffroom can effect the work of staff! Does anyone have any? Or are the board right?

2. I'm a new Head in a private school - so not quite subject to the same rules and regulations as others. My question is: As a new Head, I've got four quick but important improvements for staff, students, parents and admin in our school (developed from discussions). However, as a teacher before promotions, I feel our staff room is a weakness. It's a dumping ground for furniture etc that no longer fits anywhere else, it's messy and disorganised, it serves multiple purposes - storage, rest, eating without really doing any of them well. My main concern is that our staff are not always as 'professional' as I'd like them to be and that I feel the staff room contributes to this subconciously. It feels like a student common room - dirty mugs and mess. Having been there as a teacher, I feel it - it's hard to keep it clean when it feels like a relucant add-on to the school. I would like to remodel the entire room but at least one member of the board (who must sign off on some of the budget items - including non-academic items like major renovations) doesn't feel it's justified as staff don't keep it tidy as it is! (Chicken or egg - I'm not sure which came first). What I would like is annecdotal (or even better, non-annecdotal) evidence that the state of a staffroom can effect the work of staff! Does anyone have any? Or are the board right?

3. It is good to consult fully and painstakingly over issues which effect good schools but not over this. If your staffroom is a health hazard and gives a poor message about ypur school then clear it out, get a rota going and provide your rules which will address the worst issue quickly. Buy all school owned cups etc & put scruffy stuff in a box to go home or go to charity shop. Refurbishment should be quick too- stick a plan up on a big piece of paper, give them a week to respond and job done. They need to see you mean business and there is work to be done! One good idea is to double up the use is a staffroom maybe as a ppa room, conference space or intervention room. Staff need somewhere to go for breaks and then the room is redundant so might as well use the space.

4. That's a perfect link! I did a forum search, but never thought to look at articles! Thanks.

5. Have you ever visited the NCSL building in Nottingham? It is most impressive - no expense has been spared. Some might say miss use of tax payers money, maybe. But the philosophy is, if you value you biggest asset - the staff, you will reap your rewards in the long run. Stating the obvious in my opinion.
    We spent a few thousand pounds on refurbishing our staffroom. I feel justified because I value the team in which I work. A dishwasher, full biscuit tin and coffee machine are simple but effective. After the refurbishment (12 months ago) the room remains clean and tidy, appreciated, as I hope the staff do.
    Show your team you care about them and you WILL get it back!