1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Staffroom in September?

Discussion in 'Staff, pupil & parent's wellbeing' started by nellspencer, Jul 15, 2020.

1. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Sounds ridiculous to me. What's the reason for the decision? Much has been changed in our staff room - single exam-style tables, well distanced, for people to sit at and a maximum number allowed in at a time - but another area has been found for an overspill staff room. Kettle, toaster and microwave in both rooms, with tape-marked-out boxes around them so that only one person is there at a time.

2. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Ours started with a maximum number and rules. This week it all seemed to be ignored. I wouldn’t go in.

3. agathamorse

agathamorse Senior commenter

My current school does encourage staff to go off site at lunchtime, to go for a walk and get some fresh air. However, we've been told we're not allowed to do that in September so as to maintain the school bubbles.

sunshineneeded likes this.
  4. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Senior commenter

Everyone is entitled to leave work premises, including schools, if they so wish at lunchtime.

5. sunshineneeded

When we returned after lockdown, we had to agree not to go off site at all during the working day to protect everyone. It wasn't a problem. I haven't read the risk assessment, etc, for September yet, but expecting it to be the same.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. install

install Star commenter

Bring in your own kettle - that will keep you socially distanced. It’s each person for themselves imho. Do wear a mask around children.

Do go out for lunch, away from the crowd - get some air keeping socially distanced. You don’t get paid during lunch. Make sure you use wash hands in and out each time.

7. blushingberry

blushingberry New commenter

If you aren't permitted to leave site at lunchtime then you are being directed. I was under the impression that our lunch break cannot be directed?

8. chris_dalton63

chris_dalton63 New commenter

Kettles are fine provided it stays with your bubble. This doesn't work in secondary schools obviously as staff will teach across multiple bubbles.
    General staff room kettles have been removed to prevent cross contamination , however if the kettle handle is wiped after each use then it shouldn't be a problem.

9. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

My school had the kettle, coffee machine and microwave available in June and July. I think the caretaker was cleaning such areas regularly throughout the day and there was a sink and soap provided. We were allowed offsite at lunch and I went to a shop a few times. Shockingly, no one came down with Covid despite such freedoms.

10. Marisha

Marisha Established commenter

Do you not have to get your own electrical goods checked and passed by the school techs? (Might not be needed in England and Wales. It was mandatory when I worked in a Scottish LA.)

caress and DaisysLot like this.
  11. install

install Star commenter

Of course - never a problem .

12. koali

koali New commenter

Agree totally.
    Are you paid over lunchtime?
    Standard teacher contract says lunch is not directed time and as such you are notnpaid fornthat time. As I seem to remember teachers took what was effectively a pay cut in the 1980s when the government decided this was the case. Thats why you cant be directed at lunchtime and you can go where you want,including off site

Sally006 likes this.
  13. sunshineneeded

I know you're right, @koali. But these are unprecedented times - no-one was expecting a global pandemic when the regulations were set. When our post-lockdown risk assessment was written, it was emailed to all for comment before being put in place. As far as I'm aware, no-one had a problem with staying on-site throughout the (shorter) day and I didn't hear any complaints during the weeks we were back. It was clear that this was a risk assessment 'for the remainder of the term' and things may be different when we return in September.

agathamorse likes this.
  14. shevington2

shevington2 New commenter

So you have not yet received your new risk assessment for September ?

15. koali

koali New commenter

Many teacher contractual entitlements have been lost in the past lost when "one off measures " become custom and practice. Permanent changes to the teacher contract are possible but should involve full staff consultation.
    From what you have said I doubt very much if this was put to staff in a way that they felt they could object. Just because you havent heard any objections doesnt mean that everybody is happy with the arrangement, particularly if they were not consulted. It is interesting also that you refer to "setting regulations" as this makes your schools idiosyncratic arrangements sound more official than they actually are.
    In fact, the government never instituted anything more than " guidance" to employers.
    Sounds like this risk assessment has not been looked at by anyone from the Professional Associations as it would be highly unlikely that they would support this change in contract.

Going for a walk or going to the supermarket after work carries exactly the same risks as leaving the site at lunchtime. Its not the fact that you leave the building, its the proximity and number of other people that you meet and how long you are in contact with them.
    You could meet an infected person at any time of the day, not just in your lunch hour so unless you have all the staff living on the school site, never going out to anywhere else, the protection provided by insisting that ll staff stay on site all day is minimal because of what goes on before and after school and at the weekends.

agathamorse and Catgirl1964 like this.
  16. lookingtogo

lookingtogo New commenter

The staff room banter is what keeps me sane. I am so going to miss this but we are not allowed into the staff room - it's just too small and too poorly ventilated. I will just have to be the sad sack sat at a desk (not mine - we are moving all day) with my flask of coffee.

sunshineneeded and agathamorse like this.
  17. agathamorse

agathamorse Senior commenter

We've been told no one is allowed off site at lunchtime. Staffroom is available but only for 12 staff to use at a time. However, if you have a classroom you need to stay in it at lunchtime. Morning break has gone completely. Time to dig out the old flask.

sunshineneeded likes this.
  18. shevington2

shevington2 New commenter

I bet HT and SMT can disappear of site at lunch hour. Do not forget to longer to give your good will and free time to such people. People who cannot be bothered to contact their professional association over such matters should not come here to claim.

19. Sally006

Sally006 Lead commenter

Surely all school with have staggered break and lunchtimes to allow smaller numbers using the staff room. Our staff room is a building site at the moment but still contains the photocopier( again a limit on occupancy at anytime could be done. I’ve decide to retreat to the car for my lunch and take in my own flask anyway.

agathamorse likes this.
  20. Newidentity

Newidentity Occasional commenter

Have a classroom? Wow, the luxury! We have to move around the school, teaching different bubbles. God knows what we are supposed to do at lunch: pencil in a nervous breakdown perhaps?

agathamorse and Catgirl1964 like this.