1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

staffing numbers

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by hheaton, Oct 2, 2015.

1. hheaton

hheaton New commenter

In a school nursery with a qualified teacher and only 7 children, does there have to be another TA?

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

The above is taken from the Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage, section 3.37.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...1_September_2014__with_clarification_note.pdf

So yes, it does seem that you must have two members of staff.

3. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

I think the reasoning is that if a child needs help to use the toilet, or if there was an accident of some sort there need to be enough staff to cover the other children. That is the reasoning in our setting with similar nursery numbers.

4. nooby182

nooby182 New commenter

I'm not sure, I had 8 Nursery children on my own last year and didn't question it until reading this post. Would be interested to know

5. wackyraces

wackyraces New commenter

I would also be interested to know if a Reception class should have a full time TA? I believe it to be good practice to, but, I only have 13 children and my TA is taken from me in the afternoons because I have a small class. Is this acceptable?

Our nursery class has 26 3-4 year olds with one teacher. Should she be supported by one or two TAs? Thanking you in advance.

6. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

Your nursery class should have one TA supporting the teacher as the ratio is 1:13. Ideally, a second TA would be there but that's not going to happen, is it?

7. wackyraces

wackyraces New commenter

Thanks - yes, unlikely, but so necessary in my opinion!