1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Staff with pets

Discussion in 'Independent' started by ele1, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Does anyone have experience of working in a boarding school?
    If so, are (live-in) members of staff permitted to keep a dog?
    Any general thoughts/advice/experiences appreciated.

2. As I'm sure everyone will say, this will depend on the school, and also on the accommodation you are offered.

If you have a cottage in the woods, probably not a problem, except for the poor animal locked in all day.
    If you are in accommodation within a boarding house, I'd have thought a dog would not be acceptable, partly because of noise, and partly for health and safety reasons.

But assume nothing, and ask the school first, before moving the animal in.

3. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

Like the previous poster says without asking the specific school no-one knows, but in my school (boarding prep school), 3 of the staff who live on site (but not in building) have dogs, two of us also have cats. Two of the staff (DHT and HT) bring their dogs into school, they sit at the front of the lesson/in their office. The other couple go and visit their dog at break/lunch when necessary to do whatever it is they need to do with it!
    The boarding houseparents used to have a cat, the school fitted cat flaps in all the fire doors (special ones that would fill with a fire retardent foam or something in the event of a fire) so that the cat on the 3rd floor could get outside! Another resident in the main building also had a cat which was a house cat so stayed inside her accomodation.

4. Excellent news, thank you. At least I can hope that there is a possibility! [​IMG]

5. We have a no dogs in school rule (day school) which I think is redundant. It's not as if there are sand pits around that the students play in. I love the idea of a workplace that you can take your dog to. And I don't even have a dog!

6. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Every school that I have taught in has had resident staff who have had dogs. It has not been a problem in the least.
    However no school has tolerated animals in the classroom.

7. I winced