1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Staff Wellbeing

Discussion in 'Governors' started by keepthespirit, May 13, 2012.

1. keepthespirit

keepthespirit New commenter

The two schools where I am a governor are happy and successful. Staff are dedicated and well cared for by management. I would like to further enhance this by making staff wellbeing an explicit priority. Obviously a questionnaire to establish a baseline appears to be a sensible beginning. Unfortunately, commercial products are far too expensive. Does anyone know of a worthwhile staff well being survey in the public domain ? and perhaps offer any advice.
    Many Thanks,

2. keepthespirit

The two schools where I am a governor are happy and successful. Staff are dedicated and well cared for by management. I would like to further enhance this by making staff wellbeing an explicit priority. Obviously a questionnaire to establish a baseline appears to be a sensible beginning. Unfortunately, commercial products are far too expensive. Does anyone know of a worthwhile staff well being survey in the public domain ? and perhaps offer any advice.
    Many Thanks,

3. You get what you pay for

4. keepthespirit

Why did you bother with such a banal response ? also you don't always get what you pay for - sometimes things are excessive moneymakers. Perhaps you are selling something which would explain such a pointless comment. After 40 plus years in education, 16 as a head teacher, I am aware of value for money and selecting options on a variety of criteria. Your comment is unhelpful.

5. I would play devil's advocate here. If staff are happy and well looked after what need is there to make well being a priority? It seems, from what you have saud, that the job has already been done. Are there not other, more child centred, priorities for the school?

6. so you think it's a good idea to make staff a priority, but not be willing to pay the commercial cost of seeing it through?

To me, such a suggestion is banal and pointless, and to a certain extent hypocritical.

if staff are going to be a priority for the GB, they should at least be willing to spend some money on them.

but you don't agree it seems?

7. keepthespirit

I thought the forums were meant to be helpful so I will make no further reply to your response after this. If you want the best for children it is crucial to ensure that staff are at their best - also they deserve it as human beings. Staff matter. It is not hypocritical to want to do this and keep costs to the minimum. Child priorities are being attended to: I am giving extra time to a very important aspect of school. Times are economically demanding so I was hoping to have a response from someone who had something constructive to offer. My very best wishes for your health and happiness. No it is not hypocritical nor banal - I wish you the best. I'm just very disappointed by the negative tone of the responses.

8. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Ah, that old chestnut ...

9. If anyone is interested, I found 3 staff well being questionnaires on the first page of google search when I looked.
    And it only cost me about a minute of my time.

10. keepthespirit

At that I must break my decision not to reply. I have spent hours without finding anything remotely useful which is why I posted on the forum. Your web search skills are obviously far superior to mine. Would you please post the sites so that I can have a look - I'm very interested.

11. Here's the search I used

There's one from Surrey, one from Kirklees, and a few more

Seriously though,as opposed to prioritising staff well being, can I suggest you find a way to develop staff technology proficiency

12. keepthespirit

Many, many thanks - it is really appreciated. It's not staff who need technology proficiency development but me. As a young teacher I was innovative using dustless chalk but have not yet improved ICT skills sufficiently. The sites are extremely useful and what I was hoping for. If money is not there then we have to find other ways. Thanks again

13. How do you know the staff don't need technology proficiency development ?

14. keepthespirit

We have efficient staff reviews and CPD. However, I take the point it is something that could be developed further. Just as with well being I feel it is important not to take it for granted and see it is at least maintained at its current level and if possible improved. This should also apply to technology et all.

15. montiagh

montiagh New commenter

Crispness - posters like keepthespirit come onto forums like this one because they are generally looking for help and advice.

What they are most certainly not looking for is the sarcasm and criticism that you pronounce gratuitously from time to time. You have eventually answered the posters question and answered it well. Now you should perhaps ponder the question to yourself why you could not deliver your good and helpful answer as your first post.

16. Thanks for all that wonderful advice, but actually you needn't have bothered because I already have a mother.

17. R13

R13 Occasional commenter

I think the implication was that you probably had no father Crispness

18. Why don't we have a 'like' button?