1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Staff Well-Being

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by bed, Feb 13, 2020.

1. bed

bed New commenter

As an ex head who’s now a psychotherapeutic counsellor, I’m developing training and workshops to help schools support staff well-being, mental and emotional health.
    Not only is it just a good thing for schools to do it’s been part of the ofsted framework since last September

My question is:

What training and workshops would benefit?
    What are the issues?
    What would you like help with?
    And as Headteachers, what would you personally want to support your own wellbeing?
    (Because no-one else looks after the Head so we have to look after ourselves)

TIA

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I don't want to go on any training or to a workshop on wellbeing.
    I just want to work in a school with decent human beings on the SLT who, without really needing to think about it, have staff wellbeing as a high priority.
    Fortunately I do work in such a school.

For people who don't, I'm sure going to a compulsory 2 hour workshop after school on a rainy Thursday evening so SLT can say they've ticked a wellbeing box for Ofsted will be just perfect.

3. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

Unfortunately the key to wellbeing in school is work life balance, not understanding how the brain works or having an inspirational session or two I'm afraid.

You may want to focus your energies on working with SLT to streamline their workload, which in turn leads them to streamline that of others.

My experience is that everyone is so focused on "booking in" staff wellbeing seminars but no one focuses on the leaders. Only when they have been reminded that they can have a balance (by removing, not delegating), will a culture of wellbeing be established.

bed and caterpillartobutterfly like this.
  4. teachprimary

teachprimary New commenter

It’s really nice to hear about your work unfortunately SLT just do this for ticking off a box. The learning stays in the training room and nothing more happens at the most a percent of the information is shared in a staff meeting by saying “by the way...”
    Really fed up of hearing staff well being - simply respecting staff and acknowledging teachers’ hard work will be enough to retain staff members and urn their respect.

bed and caterpillartobutterfly like this.
  5. bed

bed New commenter

Thank you for taking the time to reply - it’s really useful
    I’m gathering that the last thing wanted or needed is box-ticking lip-service workshops or “lectures” about physiological reactions to stressful environments

If I’m reading you right, you would prefer to see something that challenges and helps SLT/ school to put in place policy and strategies that actually help improve workload
    But most importantly that the workplace is one where people are actually respected and cared about
    So it’s about creating growing and maintaining that culture

Thank you

6. bed

bed New commenter

More comments from other serving or past HTs is welcomed