1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Staff well-being

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by elthorne, Sep 2, 2011.

1. I am interested in what schools do to promote staff well being. Apart from being open and honest and generally nice to people, what practical ideas do colleagues have to improve the lot of our staff?

2. I am interested in what schools do to promote staff well being. Apart from being open and honest and generally nice to people, what practical ideas do colleagues have to improve the lot of our staff?

3. This year, we had a staff vs. Year 6 leavers rounders tournament for the whole school to watch - it is a simple idea, but the whole staff was talking about it for weeks before, leading people to open up and be more relaxed with each other as we have recently have a lot of staffing changes. We all had a common "enemy" and let off some steam during the secret practice sessions.

4. Do staff have enough changing rooms or lockers? What is the staff room like? What about paying up to join the teacher support network? Do you have a policy on when staff can be expected to reply to emails? How much work does the assessment period and marking policy cause? What about the burden of reporting? Is everything done in the most efficient way?

5. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

All of these points are essential for the easy running of the year-no log jams!
    For myself, as a chalk face operative for 36 years, I'd like to offer a couple of points from the chalk face perspective.
    Staff room. Over the years I have seen them used less and less as faculties have their own offices and kettles etc. To get staff together, how about free coffee and tea every once in a while just to get staff in one area even just for a few minutes. If this was done at break, vary the days so that all staff get the chance to use it.
    It honestly doesn't take much to get staff on side and to make them feel valued. At my last school-I'm not sure how they did it as was on long term sick when it was introduced, but had quite a lot of training done in twilight sessions and then this was disaggregated so we had two training days 'off' as we'd done the training and the hours.
    We also had a tote on a Friday. People paid £1 and chose a number. On Friday after school a number was drawn out of the hat and the person with that number won all the cash! At Christmas, it was £2 and I won-£150! Very nice thank you! Obviously, someone had to take responsibility for collecting the money, but the 'pay back' in moral was great. It also meant that staff stayed behind on a Friday and often sat chatting for a while.
    I know these might seem time consuming and they are, but they made us feel a bit valued and important.

6. TeacherSupportJason

TeacherSupportJason New commenter

I just wanted to point out that you don't need to 'pay up to join' Teacher Support Network. We are an independent charity providing practical and emotional support to all teachers. All our services are free and totally confidential. You can find out more at www.teachersupport.info or call the Support Lines on 08000 562 561 (England) or 08000 855 088 (Wales)
    We have a number of tools that can help teachers and SMT improve their own and their colleagues wellbeing. You can also sign up to an e-newsletter on the website that is filled with information, advice and support.