1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Staff welfare

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by 1braincellleft, May 13, 2019 at 8:11 AM.

1. 1braincellleft

1braincellleft New commenter

Having realised that staff welfare is a little low shall I say I was wondering what, if any ideas some of you have or use in your schools. We have Angels and it works ok not the best think ever. we have the Notice Board with inspirational quotes!
    Need a WOW moment lol x
    Cheers

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Inspirational quotes never quite make it with me, usually because they're so cheesy they're not plausible..
    Managers who treat me as a human, say thank you and have regard for workload (not piling on data processing for the sake of it etc.) have a rather bigger impact.

Jamvic, ATfan, -myrtille- and 19 others like this.
  3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

No idea what 'Angels' is.
    A WOW moment would drive me mad.

This is exactly it.

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

If you google despair.com you will find hundreds of demotivational quotes which you can print off and post up. Some of them are really funny. Some of them are so appropriate to the job.

https://despair.com/collections/posters

Last edited: May 14, 2019 at 8:11 AM
    Jamvic, ATfan, bumchuckle and 8 others like this.
  5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I supplied in a school where they had a compliments box in the staffroom. Anyone could take a slip to fill in to praise anyone else for something they did. Each week the HT would draw 3 slips from the box who won a choccy treat. However I think she also then went through the box so that she could praise those that didn't win the chocs. It worked as long as everyone took part.

6. caterpillartobutterfly

I'm trying to be good this term... but a few of those are just toooooo tempting!
    :oops:

ATfan, ajrowing and BetterNow like this.
  7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

If you are crafty you can copy the images and paste them into word or publisher. They look good in A4. Put one a week up in the staffroom.

ATfan and ajrowing like this.
  8. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I think the Dilbert cartoons are very good, and pinned the odd one up myself. Strangely, if I put them in the main staffroom they vanished quickly, but not in the room my department used. My favourite was somebody reporting that she had completed the risk management review she had been asked to do, and concluded "There is no risk of any management".

Seriously, the best way of boosting staff morale is to treat them well, do what you can to cut their workload, offer support in the positive sense of actually doing something to help, say "thank you" on a regular basis and sound as if you mean it... I am sure others can think of a lot more things. Things stuck on the notice board won't help. Although the odd treat, even if it is decent biscuits at the end of term, does make a difference, but only if you are getting other things right.

FollyFairy, ATfan, bevdex and 7 others like this.
  9. madcatlady

madcatlady New commenter

I can't stand motivational pictures / quotes. I like the despair ones though :)
    I don't know what Angels or WoW is and I don't want to do compliments in a box, it sounds nauseating.

I like being thanked properly. With words and face to face - not an email. A special trip to see me to say thank you always gets a positive response. Especially if the person can then avoid asking me about something else at the same time (ie, no "while I'm talking to you....")

Otherwise I like being paid correctly for the job I am doing.

10. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

@madcatlady

Ditto.

Don't patronise me, please.

Treat me like an adult. Let me get on with the job. Reduce my paperwork.

FollyFairy, ATfan, bevdex and 7 others like this.
  11. caterpillartobutterfly

STOPPPP!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

12. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

What seems to be the fallback position in my school is to hold back all staff for a few hours for a "wellbeing" session.

(SLT drone "well thats the Wellbeing box ticked".

Whats for next week? "Marking effectively, the Triple Marking method")

(Oh and please do not mention "WoW" moments, unless you want to incite "Bingo!" moments from the back.)

13. ridleyrumpus

"We have the Notice Board with inspirational quotes!"

Deity give me strength

Speaking for myself (and many other adults I talk to) this sort of thing is like a red rag to a bull.

Just don't!

I mean it,

just don't,

ever.

14. ridleyrumpus

I always liked this one for the "Conference Room"

[​IMG]

15. ridleyrumpus

You're not going to get one of the choccies are you ;)

BetterNow likes this.
  16. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Get a tray, buy some cakes, go round rooms at quarter to four and tell everyone to take a cake and GO HOME!

Do that twice a week minimum until the end of term.

Declare a paper-free week for the kids. No work on paper. All lessons by listening, doing, learning. No writing. At the end of the week there'll be a fun quiz. So that's no marking for staff. Do that one week in four minimum.

You might just get a Wow from them for that one.

FollyFairy, Gsr25, ATfan and 5 others like this.
  17. secretteacher2357

secretteacher2357 Occasional commenter

We have a Staff Welfare week every term. The one after school meeting is cancelled. We're all supposed to be on our way home by 4pm.
    Sounds great!
    Except...the workload hasn't reduced. So people are still in school until 6pm and beyond (I don't want to take work home with me). Sanctions follow if work isn't done.
    It's a farce and we all know it.

ATfan, Sally006 and ridleyrumpus like this.
  18. blazer

blazer Star commenter

19. blazer

blazer Star commenter

20. blazer

blazer Star commenter