1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Staff using their own cameras to film primary school children

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by springy, Dec 7, 2011.

1. springy

springy New commenter

Could anybody tell me what the legal postion is?
    Should a school device only be used to photogarph or film children?
    Is it acceptable for staff to use their own cameras/devices and delete the images once they have been uploaded to the school network?
    Should staff ever save images/film of children on their own school laptop?

It seems like a bit of a minefield. What does your school AUP Policy advise?

Thanks

2. springy

springy New commenter

Could anybody tell me what the legal postion is?
    Should a school device only be used to photogarph or film children?
    Is it acceptable for staff to use their own cameras/devices and delete the images once they have been uploaded to the school network?
    Should staff ever save images/film of children on their own school laptop?

It seems like a bit of a minefield. What does your school AUP Policy advise?

Thanks

3. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

Our child protection officer came back from a course and told us we were not allowed to use personal cameras but I personally still do. Her point being we shouldn't have images of children on our personal equipment, well what about my personal laptop, home computer, memory stick etc etc. Until the school provides me with all of those things how am I expected to do my job efficiently and effectively?
    It annoys me that now the staff aren't trusted, but it is ok to spend our own personal money on our class!

4. clickschool

clickschool New commenter

It's highy preferable to use school kit. This helps to protect yourself.
    It's important to be professional and sensible about the kinds of images that are taken and how they are used.
    Be completely honest about the images you're taking and why. e.g. promote school web site, keepsakes for children etc. There are stacks of guidelines,e.g about favouring group photos rather than individual photos

5. robot1

robot1 New commenter

I wrote our AUP last year. It states the pictures of students should not be stored on any media at home. This includes the camera which the image was taken on. So I would advise staff to delete any images as soon as they have been put onto the school network. This should be done before the camera is taken home.
    So in my school there should not be any images on school laptops at home either. This may seem a bit over the top but when writing the AUP, I wanted to make sure staff were protected too.
    If you really need to take pictures than your school should provide a camera in my opinion.

6. School Boy Error

So staff aren't trusted in your school? I understand what your saying but it does really annoy me. How do you expect them to do any work at home? What about saving things for resources for next year? I have a picture of my group visiting Blist Hill and I've added a sepia effect for my display. I've kept this on a personal memory stick as the school don't provide them.
    What about child details? Are they not more important than pictures? So, on their school laptops they're not allowed pictures of children or child details. What can you have on it!

7. We have pretty much the same 'protection' via our AUP. Though we do allow use of personal digital equipment (often better than the schools) so long as all data is deleted once downloaded. We also allow a short time period (no time period stated only common sense) where a member of staff can have images only (no personal information) on a home pc in order for them to create their products e.g. movies etc. Movies then stored on network and then removed from personal computers. Like everything in education legal requirements must be adhered to but some common sense must ask be used to be able to find a workable solution.

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I find it hard to believe I'm reading any of this. Utterly depressing - the world's gone mad.

Retirement can't come a moment too soon..

9. School Boy Error

I'm with you but my retirement date isn't until 2045 (at the moment, it'll be 2055 by the time Cameron has finished)