1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Staff turnover?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by MrSirsirsir, Jun 14, 2015.

1. I have been working in my current school for 6 years and I have only ever taught in 2 other schools and I do not know what is accepted as normal staff turnover.

This year we have 17/90 staff leaving. Last year was 31/90, the previous was 19/90, and then 25/90. We frequently have staff leaving with nowhere to go to, preferring to take the risk of resigning by our early resignation date and finding somewhere else.

Behaviour is on a downward spiral as new teachers, understandably, do not have the reputation us old timers (6 years in and I am one of the longest serving teachers which feels quite weird).

Is this normal? (not sure if it makes a difference but its Indy).

2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

What's normal? 100 staff in 4 years does seem a little excessive!!

I'm surprised at this turnover in an Indy school. I've taught in two, and most of the staff tend to spend their entire careers - or at least 70% of it! - in the school.

Behaviour is on a downward spiral? Interesting. It sounds as though policies to deal with behaviour are not really in place. It also sounds as though new staff are coming in thinking it will be a walk in the park compared to State - and finding it does not match their expectations.

I tend to think what other people do is irrelevant. Do you want to stay or not?

3. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

We had about 23 leave last year and about 25 this year out of approx 100 teachers, this is way more than in previous years and I do not think it normal. I think it is indicative of something going wrong.

Do OFSTED monitor this sort of thing?

4. rooney1

rooney1 Occasional commenter

How about 13 out of 16 in a 12 month period - several with no other job to go to.

5. ridleyrumpus

I bet the three remaining are SLT.

6. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

As a supply teacher I visit lots of different schools and can offer the following observation (by no means a validated observation before anyone gets too upthight).

Schools with a stable workforce tend to have fewer behaviour issues and generally a much more pleasant working environment for both staff and students. I been to several schools where claasroom teachers have served 20 or more years in the place.

Schools with a regular high turnover of staff, and the one in question would fit this group, have poor to downright appalling behaviour issues and management who do not seem to recognise this. I've been to schools where whole departments have left at once and others where returning supply teachers (the few that do) are the most famillar faces the students see.

The big question is what comes first? A large number of teachers leaving for a number of reasons (which could happen in any school) followed by a drop in behaviour standards or poor behaviour driving away even long serving members of staff.

The bigger question is, what is the solution? Glad I'm not in charge.

7. rooney1

rooney1 Occasional commenter

Three remaining - not one SLT apart from Head - who was not included in the 16. Another school locally, so I've been told, lost all of its staff except the head (new) and an NQT within the space of a year.

8. Cwadd - I am not sure if I want to leave or not. I am not being bullied like many of the staff who have left and am fine with being ignored. I am good enough to teach without being disturbed or have incessant lesson observations (apart from the mandatory 1 a year from my HoD). I am trusted to organise and lead many trips (South Africa, Europe and America as well as in term trips/lectures etc) as well as taking responsibility whole school initiatives and events but I am not good enough to promote.. . That is reserved for NQTs/RQTs. Parents get confused by me as I tend to be more visible than the year heads or other positions but I do all of this without having a post or any renumeration. Yes I know I am foolish for doing it but I enjoy my job and want the best for the kids . . . .and when/if I ever decide to go I have a lot of experience that can be used on my CV.

I do worry about how unhappy the school is, how many of my friends are being bullied and pushed out. . and I do feel that my self-confidence is dropping. Being passed over for promotion for younger/less experienced people who are seen as 'ambitious go getters' is hurtful. I just feel like a packhorse - good but not good enough. . But then again I have never been called into the Heads office for what can only be described as a 'bollicking' and emerged in tears. I have never been described as inadequate, useless, irredeemable by the assistant heads. I have never had to take time off due to the stress that I have been placed under by the bursar and so I should count myself lucky.

You were spot on about the lack of procedures. Its sink or swim - fine for those of us who can swim but tough luck to those who drown . . and tough luck to the vast majority of great kids who are affected by the time consuming minority.

And I was not planning on saying that. I am genuinely curious about what is viewed as normal turnover of staff but writing that diatribe was quite cathartic!

Rooney1 - wow is all I can saw. That puts my place into perspective!

9. ridleyrumpus

Funnily enough my school has a behaviour problem that the SLT do not recognise. When it is pointed out to them they say that no one else has the same problems when a quick glance at SIMMs tells you otherwise.

10. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

But behaviour is all the teachers' fault nowadays for not engaging the pupils or some such guff.

Years ago the Head or Deputy would patrol the corridors, go into classes bo**ock any wrongdoers and that would sort things out.

Now if a class is difficult the teacher is put on support then ultimately capability......

11. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

The significant statement the OP makes is about staff leaving with nowhere to go. There's obviously a 'normal' turnover in schools, with teachers moving on for promotion, to broaden their experience, relocate, look after the family etc..

But if teachers are leaving without a job to go to - that smacks of desperation and indicates that it is a very unhappy place to work.

12. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

I know of a few who are just throwing the towel in this year. Never known that before but to be honest I don't blame them.

13. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

They're like the little girl in the poem. When they're good, they're very very good, but when they are bad they are horrid.

14. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Its not as high as some schools but is still high and amazingly so for an independent! If you are not being hauled in the office, you must be valued so your best bet may be to hang in there........

15. Cosmic_Rainbow

Cosmic_Rainbow New commenter

The school im in atm has 6/17 teachers leaving