1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Staff struggling with obs

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by NewbieHoD, Apr 25, 2018.

1. particlezoo

particlezoo New commenter

What about videoing it? Let her watch it by herself and then if they're ok with it observe the video.
    Tbh as a HoD I'd probably fill in a form based on what I see all of the time if it's not high stakes.

annascience2012 likes this.
  2. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

The observation causes huge anxiety, you feel she's a great teacher and yet you seek to do the obs anyway?

If it is creating huge anxiety then there are valid OC reasons to not use this tool.

agathamorse and annascience2012 like this.
  3. NewbieHoD

NewbieHoD New commenter

Thanks everyone. She’s improving in confidence, which is nice for everyone.

The main issue is the “formal” obs isn’t done by me. I’m more than happy to tick boxes and fill in forms from what I see, but there’s still the fear when it’s another manager doing the obs.

Filming it might be worth a look. At least as a way of building her confidence.

4. PoundStretcher

PoundStretcher New commenter

One approach that I have used with staff of this type is using a walkthrough approach. Just walk in, look at work whilst actively listening and seeing what is going on, talk to students and then leave. No more than around 15 minutes. It may be that the actual step of sitting at the back with notes being taken is the trigger to all of this. My team find this unobtrusive and allows for a wider view of what is going in the lessons.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. sid1913

sid1913 New commenter

I don't mean to sound philosophical but how do you know she's great if she crumbles when you walk in?

6. NewbieHoD

NewbieHoD New commenter

Because she’s fine when I walk in, and every other (more important, IMHO) performance indicator is excellent.

Unfortunately, at the moment, our internal obs schedule is always another HoD doing the formal obs.

She’s actually improved slightly this academic year so far, so fingers crossed it’s a problem which will resolve itself. In the long term of course I’d love to move to a model where we drop the big observations completely, but st the moment we’re not in that position.