1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Staff standing outside for 2 hours a day in the name of outdoor provision...

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by inky, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Msz

Msz Established commenter

That's the problem we are talking free flow from 9am until 3pm not just for a break and we are expected to plan for all areas of the curriculum - it get's really difficult to mark make with water much below freezing -

2. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

I googled the secret garden in Fife... they recommend layers of clothes to be worn for a day spent outside.. this is where we all go wrong in this country....we can't really expect children to go from a warm inside to a freezing outside without making change to clothing...just a coat/hat is not really adequate for the change in temperature... how many children wear vests nowadays? Who wears wool? Many of our children arrive in a cotton t shirt and cotton leggings....cotton socks etc, synthetic tights might look lovely but there is no real warmth in them.
    ....... we should be advocating proper outside play clothes both for children and the adult outside, all in one snow suits with thermal properties and breathable so they don't get too hot.
    I remember a various times over the last few years, being so cold when I got home that I had to have a hot bath to raise my body temperature! That was from having the door open off and on and inadequate heating in the nursery at that time.

3. I think that the above, for those not involved in Early Years in England states the dilemma. Nobody is saying that going outside suitably clad for a clearly defined period is such a bad thing even when it is cold.

4. Since I have entered Early Years (Sept) I have found there are soooo many chores that the rest of the school don't have or appreciate. I have had to remember how to change a nappy, luckily my youngest is 5, mop up god knows what, dress and redress, washing, cleaning..the list is endless. So putting wetsuits in the wash on a friday seems part and parcel. My head does take home the art aprons, the towels and the dressing up clothes so I can't really complain.

5. Miss Piggywig

Miss Piggywig New commenter

Can I just ask do you use normal hand towels as we have been told we can not use these any more so waiting for our paper towels. Cleans fill them up once in a blue moon so thats another job to do. Oh and don't forget the toilet rolls.
    We are looking in to wet weather stuff at the moment think I am going to get some skiing stuff as I am so feed up of been cold.

6. Can anyone tell me what the official stance is on outdoor provision is in reception. What does the eyfs oficially say? How many hours?

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

No, surely? [​IMG]

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

Sorry, I didn't explain myself very well in that post.
    The idea that the EYFS honchos are actually laying down how much time each child must spend outdoors is just so....so....
    ridiculous.
    No offence to the poster who asked. I just wonder how much more of this totaally disempowering [forgive the word] reliance on Them Up There we're all prepared to put up with.

9. inky

inky Lead commenter

In other words, we are intelligent, educated adults and quite capable of making up our own minds.