1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Staff social at school

Discussion in 'Independent' started by teachersquestions, Oct 5, 2020.

1. teachersquestions

teachersquestions New commenter

If a school tries to arrange a staff drinks social at school, does this break the rules of six and should it be reported?

2. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

It's a pretty terrible idea, definitely breaks rule of 6 and makes a nonsense of any kind of bubble system...

bonxie likes this.
  3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

"Gatherings" at work and educational premises are exempt from the 'Rule of 6' but whether the small print of the Regulations would exempt whatever your school is planning would need a legal opinion.

But whether legal or not it sounds like a carp idea! Surely the staff are able to point this out to the head? Or if nothing else decline the invitation.

4. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Why do you want to report your school? Surely the first step is to become properly informed about the finer points of the law (if there are any) and then have a grown-up conversation with the head about it, not go straight to filing a report.

Whatever happened to proportional responses?

5. install

install Star commenter

It’s a awful plan - don’t go! The school are asking for trouble.

6. colacao17

colacao17 Lead commenter

Take pictures and send them to the local paper.

Tell them it proves schools are safe spaces.

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Get the union reps to compose a joint email to the head to let them know that they will be recommending all members do not attend any such thing. This should take account of pretty much all the staff, so will put paid to the event.

teachersquestions likes this.
  8. CabbageWhite20

CabbageWhite20 Occasional commenter

Send an email to all staff saying there will be a finger buffet and asking everyone to bring a dish.

9. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Are you inviting the students and their parents, or are you sure you'll have already passed the virus to them?

10. andywhizz1

andywhizz1 New commenter

How about sending an email of concern to a member of SLT. They are mainly decent humans in my experience who will listen to genuine and well put concerns.

11. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

If it is a social event then it would not be exempt from the rule of 6 as it is a social gathering and not something related to work or education. It would also likely show the school was failing H&S obligations by ensuring, as far as what is reasonably practicable, the necessary measures for preventing the spread of Covid 19 as there would be little justifiable reason to put everyone in a room to drink alcohol.

Still I would talk to SLT as mentioned above first. I would probably explain my concerns (and possibly 'would worry about the possible negative impact it would have on the school should the local community find out about it) and say thank you but I don't wish to take part.

12. Rott Weiler

Have you had specific a specific legal opinion to that effect?

IMO it's dangerous for lay people to make assertions about the meaning of the The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (No.2)(England)(Amendment)(No.4) Regulations 2020 when professional lawyers themselves say that the drafting of the Regulations is opaque and complex, or to determine what the law may or may not consider a work-related purpose. Especially when we do not know the school's explanation for the event.

13. teachersquestions

teachersquestions New commenter

Not my school

14. install

install Star commenter

Don’t tell the Unions and the reps - they are ‘too busy’ in some schools seemingly.

15. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Oh, that changes everything - they should definitely be reported :rolleyes:

16. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

I agree that it is open to interpretation. That was advice from a LA who I presume took legal advice.

17. Rott Weiler

Your LA don't know what event OP's private school is planning! So they can't have a legal opinion on it.

18. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

The OP called it a staff drinks social. If it is a social it's not education, training or work.

19. Rott Weiler

OP called it that, we don't know what the school says it is for. Anyway social events can have a work purpose.

But speculating on the event is not very productive. My point is that we should not on this thread tell OP that the event is illegal when we don't know. It might encourage OP to take action they later regret.

20. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

If it's not your school, then why on earth do you know about it, and why are you involved?

Staff there are more than capable of standing up for themselves, surely.

jarndyce and willcott like this.