1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Staff showing pirate DVDs?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by turquoisesparkles, Mar 20, 2012.

1. I honestly can't work out if I'm being stupidly fussy and will accept people saying not to be silly and stop worrying but is this something that could get them/the school into trouble?
    Just feel uneasy about it, is all [​IMG]
    Any advice?

2. I honestly can't work out if I'm being stupidly fussy and will accept people saying not to be silly and stop worrying but is this something that could get them/the school into trouble?
    Just feel uneasy about it, is all [​IMG]
    Any advice?

3. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

It's illegal. If they're stupid enough to do it and get caught, it's their lookout.

4. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

No video / film / DVD can be shown outside of the home without the correct licence
    Your LEA may have a Public Video Screening Licence that
    covers their properties which allows you to show a film.

Failing that you will need a Single Title Licence to show a one off
    DVD and this costs £150

Full details on getting the licence can be found from the company set up for this purpose

http://www.filmbank.co.uk/
    There is no way that showing a pirate version would be acceptable
    I would also want to know:
    1. Why is the DVD being shown?
    2. Is it relevant to what the students are learning?
    3. Is it suitable for their age etc?

5. I worked at a school where this was allowed, however, there was a stupid amount of paperwork that was needed before it was shown. The DVD then needed to be checked by the HT and 'signed off' by them and the Education Department. We normally had to plan a month in advance! Yes, I am overly cautious, however there are cases where parents have complained about DVD's shown to children... I would always remain on the side of caution and avoid showing anything that is not owned by the school.

6. and this sounds like it is for "legit" DVDs. Could youhave a word re your concerns with the teacher involved?

7. Oh my, I miss-read the title and thought that it said 'private' and not 'pirate'. The very nature of having a pirate DVD on school property is fast-track to being struck-off and a trip to the police station. just don't do it. if you know of someone who is, I would suggest a quiet word. You know what schools are like - word can and does get out!

8. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

While I don't agree with the practice of piracy, I would be cautious to wave flags at any colleagues unless I was squeaky clean myself. If you hold a spotlight on someone else, you should be aware that it could well be turned on yourself.

9. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

I'm surprised the kids haven't dobbed them in - after watching and enjoying the dvd of course. In some schools the next you would hear would be some parent going to the press.

If these members of staff are in your department, to cover yourself you MUST tell them not to do it in the future and tell them that it's serious - honestly people have been dismissed for things like this. It might be "acceptable" at home (although illegal) but professionally we must be squeaky clean.

10. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

The bigger problem I've encountered with staff is that they show films of inappropriate certficate for their age.

11. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

And the even bigger problem is taking over a cover lesson halfway through to discover that they are already watching an age-inappropriate film.
    (I did once have sympathy for an NQT history teacher - to finish a year 7 unit relating to Robin Hood, and to cover her absence on a course, she promised they could watch the film, before realising it was rated 12. In the end, the decision was to go ahead, but she provided an alternative activity for those who preferred not to watch. But at least that one was only just the wrong rating.)

12. What an appalling waste of time. Every single person involved in the creation and management of this polishy and prodedjah should be sacked and never allowed anywhere near a school again.
    Haven't we got enough to do without planning a month in adavance to show a bit of Robin Hood?

13. Diddysan

Diddysan New commenter

Personally, i love pirate videos. I think Johnny Depp is fantastic.

14. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Trouble is, they go on to work for the quangoes whose bonfire we were promised.

15. Well, it is true that I am only just going to start my PGCE, so who am I to talk... but I thought that -apart from the obvious illegality of the matter- teachers were supposed to set an example to the students...