1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

staff room behaviour

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by reena2706, Jun 7, 2012.

1. keyboard2

keyboard2 Established commenter

It isn't.

Schools aren't egalitarian. The adults are in charge. The rules that apply to children do not apply to adults.

I drink tea in my classroom. If I didn't, I wouldn't get a drink throughout the day - there isn't enough time. Occasionally I will chomp on an apple too.

No big deal.

2. nick2002

nick2002 New commenter

Agree - I've seen colleagues become very upset because they've given up their lunch hour for a revision class or whatever, and not given themselves a chance to eat their lunch. You have to put yourself first from time to time, and if that means wolfing down a sandwich in front of a student during a lunchtime class, so be it!

tall tales, Harumph and dodie102 like this.
  3. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

April 2017? ;)

Bumptious likes this.
  4. ed717

ed717 New commenter

All but one school I have worked in provided tea coffee and biscuits at break time, which I think should be a must in all schools as teachers should feel valued. I disagree with taking tea/coffee into a classroom however - as someone earlier said, its hypocritical.

5. Lucilla90

Lucilla90 Occasional commenter

What an interesting old thread. Why get a new one when an old one still does the job, I always say. :D

One school, I heard from a reliable source, when introducing extortionate charges for tea and coffee, found most staff bringing their own. Next thing, there was a charge for boiling water, to cover the electricity!

sabrinakat and agathamorse like this.
  6. butlins

butlins New commenter

mmm, I do not agree with this point. We are working, using our voice constantly and usually in the same classroom for up to three hours without a break. This would not happen in any other job when you would be allowed to have a drink at your desk. The students are allowed to drink water and I don't see a problem with that, particularly in secondary when they are usually an hour in one room and then move on.
    AS for who pays for the drinks, most companies do not provide refreshment free of charge so it would be unlikely that cash strapped academies would be obliging us with this. Every school I have worked at is different, and to be honest, I now bring my own in and guard it carefully against other people borrowing it. Petty, I know, but annoying when you want a drink and someone has pilfered your supplies.

7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

When I was at primary school the teachers would smoke in the classroom. In yr 3 I was the class cigarette monitor and would be sent up the road to the corner shop to buy the fags for the teacher! Funnily enough the school is still there (only now it is a secondary) and so is the shop, I wonder if they will still sell fags to an 8 year old?

8. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Yes its a bit much to expect the Principal and the half dozen other Senior leaders to drive around in a year old BMW isn't it? ;)

Bumptious likes this.
  9. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

One of my primary school teachers, although I do not remember him smoking in class, used to do so on playground duty. He had an elaborate, combined tobacco tin and rolling machine, and we competed for the honour of licking the cigarette paper, before he rolled his fag. Another teacher, in the top juniors, smoked his pipe in class, which he seldom took out of his mouth. He would sit at the piano and lead us in singing lessons, all with his pipe clenched between his teeth. The only female teacher who smoked, often had to 'go and see the secretary' about something, which, in hindsight, probably meant she was going for a quick drag.

steely1 likes this.
  10. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Aaaah ... happy days! :D

11. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

When I was first teaching in the 1980s teachers still smoked in the staff room and around the school. I don’t remember them smoking in lessons. When the smoking ban in the building came in in the early 90s and our head ignored it, our DH stood in the doorway of the staff room and refused to attend the staff meeting because of the smoke. It didn’t happen again but the head took frequent ‘buildings inspections’ behind the School out of sight of pupils and playtimes could be overlong. I was glad to come home from school without clothes stinking of smoke after a staff meeting.

steely1 likes this.
  12. Susanne12345

Susanne12345 New commenter

We have the policy of bring your own in. I only teach the oldest students- Yrs 10-11 and some sixth form but we have no issue with them making a tea/coffee at the start of a lesson of at break. Not half way through- too distracting. I find it creates a community atmosphere that actually encourages work but the procedure is departmental and was in place before my time.

If we're travelling around with a mug of something then a travel mug with lid is expected but that's fairly common sense on our large and uneven site (on a hill).

We don't get it for free, we bring in our own tea bags/mugs etc but I really don't care for a few pennies a week. As staff we take it in turns for buy milk etc and replace things (we're not biscuit eaters really) and students bring in their own tea bags/hot chocolates etc and a cake now and again to say thanks and wash up all the mugs (even ours) every day.

I really don't see an issue: water, tea or coffee is all just liquid. Why not? So long as there isn't mess.

13. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

14. Bentley89

Bentley89 Occasional commenter

In my last school, every member of staff from teachers, TAs to admin had their preferred drink on a chart in the staffroom. There was no rota or set rule as to who made them, but generally speaking, TAs or teaching colleagues brought you a drink out when you were on duty or to your class afterwards.

Then, on open evenings or parents consultation days, SLT would bring you a drink midway through. Lovely to get a drink, but I have always wondered how much of it was for show to the parents...