1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

staff restructuring and being forced to have reduced hours

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by MarkS, Mar 15, 2011.

1. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

I am not sure, but I would think that this is a case of redundancy - your position no longer exists in the restructured organisation.
    Alternatively, isn't there another job you can do full-time? Is there no option to apply for the posts which are available?
    Mark

2. I agree with Mark. Also, I am sure that if your salary is reduced by more than 20% then this is also a redundancy.

3. Thank you, I have a meeting with new head soon and I think I'll go for redundancy.
    I've been thinking too, I will probably have to leave due to the change in hours, could i have a case for constructive dismissal?

4. CIPD qualified and 20 years experience. No it is not constructive dismissal. Constructive dissmissal is when the change only affects you personally and everyone else keeps there current positions.
    The school is restructuring, due to parameters set but LA. It happens all the time in the real World! Welcome to reality education sector!

5. Thanks for the clarification.
    What does parameters set but LA mean?
    This isn't helpful really and won't help me find the 60% salary I'm going to lose!

6. What tosh! CIPD qualified? Please don't dress up your unfounded opinions as facts.
    The law is quite clear, if you attempt to unilaterally change an employee's contract of employment - pay or hours worked, then that employee has the right to claim for constructive dismissal.

7. chriszwinter

chriszwinter New commenter

My own (bitter) experience is that redundancy applies only when you have no job at all. If you have your hours reduced, then you receive taxable compensation for the missing hours. A lot depends on the union involvement at earlier stages.
    My advice would be: get the hell out of there as fast as you can. You owe them nothing as they have shown you no loyality. Irrespective of any length of service or commitment to your pupils, your employers are treating you with contempt. You're better than that. Leave them to it. See - I told you my experience is bitter.

8. Hi, thanks for all of the good advice and support.
    we were told that we would receive a memo with curriculum requirements over a week ago but it was delayed a few times. We have had a full staff meeting since it was released and were told to make individual appointments with new head teacher so I suppose the period of consultation hasn't started yet, but we don't expect the consultation period to last long. In the meeting we were told that in some cases we could add new subjects to our timetable but this would mean teaching a level 3 course with no formal training.
    I am pretty sure I want to leave, partly due to the timetable changes but partly because I am worried about how we will be treated under the new head, apparently he already has his favourites from his current school, this is the merger of two 11-16 schools and my current college.
    I don't want to cause any trouble or get involved in long battles, but I do want to get what I am entitled to get and it want it to be done fairly.
    I emailed my union a while ago but still no reply.

9. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Then bother them again!

10. Hi, i spoke to my union rep and he said there are 3 options for the college:

1. Agree a reduction in hours with me.
    2. Make an offer of 'suitable alternative employment'. i.e. ask me to teach something else
    3. Offer voluntary redundancy.
    i am wondering what they will deem to be suitable alternative employment - I have a secondary pgce in science and a degree in chemistry.
    I can teach up to gcse maths, physics and biology and up to a2 chemistry