1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Staff reimbursement for residential visit

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Nowayout, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Nowayout

Nowayout New commenter

Hi there,

I’m looking for opinions and systems that others may have.

When a TA has been on a residential visits for maybe 4 nights and 5 days , does anybody reimburse their TA’s in anyway?

Do you have a system where you give them time off in lieu or perhaps you give extra hours?

2. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

We gave some additional hours, about equivalent to a school day, to recompense in part the additional hours. Teachers didn’t get this.

Nowayout likes this.
  3. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Yes - agree a rate of overtime or time off in lieu.

Nowayout and Stiltskin like this.
  4. 2r2e

2r2e New commenter

We pay 12 hours overtime for a 4 night residential. Doesn't come anywhere near matching the hours worked, obviously, but it's as much as we can realistically afford and is a gesture to recognise the goodwill as much as anything.
    Teachers get additional half day PPA the week before to prep cover work if their class isn't on the trip (we are a primary school) and we try to give them all PPA on the Monday back if possible. We're 3 form so there's some flexibility with the PA cover teachers, and the SLT are always willing to cover classes when asked.

Nowayout likes this.
  5. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

Teachers and TAs are given one day off in lieu after a residential.

6. Nowayout

Nowayout New commenter

That is precisely what we do. Thank you .

Can I ask how you then alter it with the varied length of residentials. Some are five days but some are three. It’s hard to be fair about it

7. starlightexpress

starlightexpress New commenter

I’ve seen a day off in lieu as adopted a former verbal agreement.

I’ve usually made it clear that it is a voluntary process and you enter with no expectation around overnight payment, then have done some goodwill gesture as a thank you. No expectation so it’s appreciated. For teachers this might be to extend their PPA to a day and enable it to be from home. For support staff it’s toil or token overtime payment.

If payment made to support staff it is to increase hours to full time 37.5 for the daytime days. No one gets payment for overnight. The daytimes on a residential are better than those in school!

To be fair, the residential is seen as such a perk there’s usually no shortage of volunteers- and I’ve worked in many schools! Goodwill is just that- but I remember it for when I’m able to be discretionary under policy- e.g. family wedding or similar.