1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Staff & Pupil Relationship- Need Advice

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by jago123, Oct 18, 2018.

1. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

Hello all,

I need some advice please- it has come to my attention that a teacher in my school is having a personal relationship with a pupil who currently attends the school’s sixth form.
    [This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

Although the pupil is over the consented age, this is still a gross misconduct offence as the pupil has a number of lessons per week with the teacher.

The relationship is kept discreet around school, and I was told about this by another member of staff within the school who knows the pupil’s family.

I plan to investigate this further with the teacher involved which may lead to a suspension followed by a potential NCTL disciplinary.
    I’ve no experience of this offence before, has anyone here, and if so, what was the best course of action to take? Thanks.

2. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

Ring the LADO immediately.

3. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Another of those 'is this for real?' posts from jago123. Your life, if true, is certainly not dull.

nomad, Flanks, Northhead and 2 others like this.
  4. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

You should have already contacted LADO for guidance, and not posted about the matter on here.

Especially as given the vast amount of specific information you have previously posted could make your school (if it exists) quite easily identifiable.

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Ring LADO immediately. They will almost certainly involve the police as this is (or may be - depends what's actually happened re sexual contact) a criminal offence - s16 Sexual Offences Act 2003. It's irrelevant that the pupil is over the age of consent. Because the teacher is in a position of trust in relation to her (because he is a teacher in the school where she is a registered pupil) any activity when she is under 18 is a serious criminal offence. If proven he will almost inevitably be banned from teaching as well.

It's also irrelevant whether he actually teaches her. The offence is committed even if he has never taught her.

6. Flanks

Flanks Senior commenter

Deeply worried that a Head is hesitating over this, you are the ultimate responsibility for safeguarding in the school. This could be considered Child Sexual Exploitation, that the age of consent does not matter if someone is potentially able to take advantage of a 16-18 year old due to their status and position. That a 17year old is vulnerable to a 23year old teacher in a school is obvious.

As you posted this yesterday, I hope that the teacher was seen and suspended today. Otherwise LADO will have a field day with you as well!

nomad, sparkleghirl, install and 3 others like this.
  7. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

Thanks for all your responses. I am a legitimate Headteacher, thank you.

I held the investigation meeting today, the teacher admitted to the relationship and immediately offered his resignation. He was suspended with immediate effect, pending an NCTL disciplinary.

I also held a meeting with the pupil’s parents and they were shocked when they discovered that their daughter had been in a relationship with her teacher as she had told her parents that they had met online.

8. meggyd

meggyd Lead commenter

You should not be posting this.This is confidential. The teacher, the pupil and the parents can all be identified. And any investigation is now compromised.

9. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I find it absolutely astounding and, to be honest, somewhat unbelievable that a head teacher even with "no experience of this offence before" is asking for advice on what is essentially a social media web site.

Subject to the advice given by the LADO the correct course of action would be:
    • Suspend the member of staff immediately pending school (not NCTL) investigation.
    • Inform LADO (who should Inform police if appropriate)
    • Inform Chair of Governors.
    • Meet with child's parents and advise them of the situation, emphasising the need for confidentiality.
    • Initiate internal investigation. The school's HR company should provide the Investigating Officer. Alternatively ask a member of SLT from another school to conduct the investigation in order to ensure impartiality.
    • Subject to the outcome of the investigation, dismiss the member of staff and refer the matter to NCTL.

10. NIHistoryTeacher

NIHistoryTeacher New commenter

Stop feeding the trolls.

Northhead likes this.
  11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

In this case, sadly, I don't think your advice applies.

Flanks likes this.
  12. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I'm not sure. Several of the OP's threads have displayed a kind of cluelessness which suggests that either he isn't or at least that he shouldn't be a HT. And then there was the Ofsted one.

Sanz1981 and Northhead like this.
  13. nomad

nomad Star commenter

You may be correct.

14. Northhead

Northhead Occasional commenter

This account is no way legit. Frankly it also portrays the profession in a poor light, which I suspect is the intention.

Sanz1981 and nomad like this.
  15. Flanks

Flanks Senior commenter

I read it more as a genuine account of someone who has over stepped their capacity in becoming a HT. We all do it at some point!

16. meggyd

meggyd Lead commenter

I take a different line. A journalist trawling for stories? An author testing the plausibility of a character they have imagined? Script writer for EastEnders? The list goes on.

nomad likes this.
  17. WJClarkson

WJClarkson Occasional commenter

Definitely. In one thread he (or she) proposed withdrawing a candidates offer of employment when he discovered they were pregnant!

Northhead and nomad like this.
  18. Flanks

Flanks Senior commenter

True, I forgot that one.

nomad likes this.
  19. meggyd

meggyd Lead commenter

Sadly there are headteachers who are like this.

caterpillartobutterfly and nomad like this.