1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Staff on Vulnerable List - What are our rights?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by claire1410lilac, Mar 21, 2020.

1. claire1410lilac

claire1410lilac New commenter

Hi all, I have just finished 14 days of isolation after having most of the symptoms of Covid 19. It was horrendous.
    I work in a special school for SEMH pupils where we regularly have to use team teach handling to support our pupils. This involves being bitten and spat on regularly. Also our pupils find it difficult to follow instructions regarding their own hygiene.
    I have diabetes, so am on the vulnerable list. I really want to do my bit to support the national effort and not let my colleagues down. My head dismissed my request to work from home with admin tasks. Does anyone have any guidance as how how to handle this?
    I can only find small amounts of advice on NAHT website. Any guidance appreciated.

2. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

3. leanne772

leanne772 New commenter

You should not be going into work...

4. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

NEU advice:
    All those with underlying health conditions should not be in school
    • Those that are fit to work, can do so from home but should not be called to your workplace site.

All those staff who are carers for those in the at risk categories, or pregnant and fit to work, can do so from home, but should not be called to your workplace site.

The NEU supports the school closures as they are a proportionate response to the public health emergency.

5. install

install Star commenter

I agree with your head. You can of course ask for the school’s ‘Contigency plan’ and for a ‘Risk Assessment’ if necessary. Should symptoms show again you should self isolate again.

Of course check with your Union about all of this.

6. abacus1982

abacus1982 Established commenter

My staff with health conditions have been instructed by me to work from home. They are responsible for all online learning, home learning stuff and communication for kids not in school. Rest of us are doing the stuff at school for those we will have in. Teachers will be in full time and TAs on a rota system. If we lose staff and can't open we will have to do something with other local schools.

agathamorse and cassandramark2 like this.
  7. crumbleskates

crumbleskates New commenter

Completely agree. You should not be in.

8. bugsysmum

bugsysmum New commenter

The school has a duty of care to you to protect your health by making reasonable adjustments. Ask them where the risk assessment is, they need to have one for the coronavirus if they remain open so they should have a 'policy' for this. You are entitled to ask what measures they are putting in place to protect you.

strawbs likes this.