1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Staff Night Out Next Friday!!!!

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by subman68, Jun 16, 2015.

1. subman68

subman68 Occasional commenter

Just been asked if I am going to the end of term night out next Friday. 3 teachers all announced "I hate nights out with teacher" but we will all go out, talk our sad teacher stories then go our separate ways for 6 or 7 weeks.

Anyone go great plans for a night out, or have you a story about how the end of term night out has gone wrong?

I witnessed the Hot NQT snog the DHT just as said DHTs wife walked into the pub with her school.....now that must have been a tricky summer holiday.

2. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

I haven't gone in recent years but will next week. If you hang about with the normal people it's OK. Don't want to listen to a 22-y-o droning on about what an amazing year they've just had and what a brilliant teacher they are. Haven't seen any teachers I'd like to snog for a long while, except perhaps for the delightful Deborah, but that's another story . . . !

3. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

You two are real charmers, aren't you?

4. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

And, you, halfajack? You must have some stories?!

5. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Subman - where exactly are you going? That wee frees place in your village you mentioned in the SNP thread?! Tell!!!

6. missormizz

missormizz New commenter

Hmmm... Do I:

1. Want to have the probationer PE teacher try and chat me up again like he did at Christmas only for me to mention my husband twenty times and refuse offer of a drink twenty times? (If my pals from other departments are there, I'll cope)

2. Want to see sixth year level bickering between a twenty seven year old faculty head and her competitive twenty four year old staff member (Jimmy Choos at dawn)? Maybe...

3. Try and keep a look out for the guy that I had a crush on at teacher training college (whose school sometimes has a drink in same pub we do)? No - Bad idea if I'm on the WKD!

4. Be caught between my veteran colleagues invariably slagging the new HT (not perfect but doesn't deserve slanging the veterans give her - not much!) No thanks.

5. As cited earlier, the NQT/Probationer who is still spouting a slightly better informed "Miss World" speech at the end of the year. I'm all for deflating snarking cynicism but you feel like saying to him/her "No-one is watching or cares. Drink up, you're off the clock!"

Mind you it is the one and only time I can grab a pakora and chips and scoff the lot to myself in the back of a cab.

7. Potatoes005

Potatoes005 Occasional commenter

Always went at Christmas and Summer night out - always bought a full round and always got up the road, although particularly at Christmas I used to end up in some state. According to my wife and sair heed the next morning.

Disappointingly my replacement hasn't been to a single night out in seven years in the job. I always really enjoyed them and found it was a good chance to see the staff in a different light and let the staff see that I wasn't always just a bore who harped on about high standards.

There were a few incidents right enough. There's always the one member of staff who goes over the line and ends up knocking a full table of drink flying, or smashing their face off a urinal in the gents as the floor was "a bit wet."

Thankfully it was never me.

8. morrisseyritual

morrisseyritual Occasional commenter

Enjoy yourselves but watch your backsides and definitely leave Bacchanalia till the night of the last day. As some "school prom" and "teacher night out" tabloid takes from the last week testify, all you need is an adversarial colleague/pupil eye watching for you to fall from grace...