1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

staff meetings

Discussion in 'Primary' started by topgirl1, Jul 16, 2011.

1. topgirl1

topgirl1 Occasional commenter

Can someone please advise me as my union is pretty useless....
    I work on a temporary contract on a .6 basis, I attend each staff meeting and stay for 45 mins as I hhave other committments and want a work/life balance lol!!!
    However my head is now demanding that I attend the full staff meeting from Sept
    A colleague advised me that staff meeetings should only last an hour and as I am .6 should only be expected to attend 3 out of 5 meetings anyhow
    Is this advice correct?
    Many thanks

2. topgirl1

topgirl1 Occasional commenter

Can someone please advise me as my union is pretty useless....
    I work on a temporary contract on a .6 basis, I attend each staff meeting and stay for 45 mins as I hhave other committments and want a work/life balance lol!!!
    However my head is now demanding that I attend the full staff meeting from Sept
    A colleague advised me that staff meeetings should only last an hour and as I am .6 should only be expected to attend 3 out of 5 meetings anyhow
    Is this advice correct?
    Many thanks

3. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

As I understand it, if you are .6, then you have to do .6 of everything a full timer would do annd that includes attending .6 of any directed meetings.
    Maybe you should consider changing your union- sounds drastic but mine was great in supporting me when I went part-time. Good luck

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

There's no law that staff meetings should only last an hour - unions have pushed this in their 'guidance', but it isn't enforceable.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I would think it is rather less disruptive for you to attend 3/5s of the meetings in a year and stay for the full time rather than leave early each time.
    But to say you don't want to go because you have other things to do doesn't engender sympathy from me I'm afraid. I have weeks where I would love to miss the staff meeting as it would make my life easier, but I wouldn't dream of asking to do so.

Meetings are important and generally useful for all kinds of reasons. The three part timers who don't work on meeting day in our school spend half their time complaining they don't know/didn't know all sorts of things, and that they feel left out of things.

6. In our school people working that day do meeting those not dont weve never had big discussion about it its just what they have chosen to do and i think walking out early as youre PT would be pretty strange. PT staff missing meetings is a huge issue as ours are very much about discussin policy and practice, making decisions or completing training and those not there miss out. I make sure they get minutes but its not as a good

7. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

I agree that you aren't getting paid a full time salary and should not be expected to attend all staff meetings. Sure I might not want to attend them either, but I get paid full time so I put up and shut up.

I know in my school that P.T. staff only have to attend a certain percentage of meetings. We try to look at the long term agendas and the P.T. attend the ones that will be most useful for them and the school.

8. The fact that you are 0.6 does not mean that you should necessarily be doing 0.6 of staff meetings.
    You should be doing 0.6 of 1265 hours per year. It is your headteacher's responsibility to add this up and direct you for 759 hours per year.
    If, for example, your teaching commitment is 0.6 of an 8.30-3.30 directed time typical day (minus lunch hour), then you are working 18 hours per week x 39 weeks. This would bring you up to 702 hours, leaving 57 hours a year for your headteacher to direct you to attend meetings, school activities. It depends how long and how frequent your staff meetings are, and what other commitments eat into that time (parents' evenings etc) as to whether the direction to attend from the HT is reasonable.
    If the HT is directing you to attend meetings/events on days you do not normally work, that is a more complex one and may depend on the exact wording of your contract.

9. it says 0.4!
    :/

10. At all the schools I have worked at, the part timers all work the staff meeting day so they can attend then they don't miss out on INSET, diary dates and policy making etc...
    If your contract say 0.4 rather than specifying certain days then I think your head has the right to direct which days you work.

11. inky

inky Lead commenter

Staff`meetings at my school were changed from Mondays to Tuesdays so that part-timers didn't miss out.
    It has never occurred to me to miss 0.4 of meetings because I now work three days a week. Certainly, nobody has ever told me that I'm entitled to. My 0.8 colleague is similarly ignorant. How do you think my boss might feel if I reuqested permission to miss out on the odd boring and irrelevant one rather than sticking to the rules?

12. inky

inky Lead commenter

That's ****. It's not as if all staff meetings come under the heading of INSET - some are merely admin-based - and, in any case, I've never heard that professional development was a perk for full-timers.

13. Inky> I had my line managers meeting last Friday and she basically said that money was tight and if there was 'free inset' available on Wed, I should be attending those rather than being covered to go on a course. I dont agree with it, but there is only so much I can do.
    Staff meetings are on wednesdays, I work Thurs/Fri. I have two litlle ones at home. I cant arrange child care. Feeling pretty miserable now :/

14. I've been part time for 10 years now mostly in one school but for the last year in a different one and I went part- time when i had my first child - as I have always understood it if you are contracted as 0.4 you can be told how those 0.4 hours will be made up by your head - this would change every year for me at my last school as I was not responsible for a class so had to fit in with the timetable - difficult as this could be to fit in with organising child care I found that a bit of flexibility on both sides was vital and was able to negotiate each year. Now I am in a jobshare and have been given the same 3 days each week for 0.6. I work on a day when staff meetings are and go to all of them as I find it more frustrating not to - my jobshare doesn't but we work closely so it doesn't matter.
    During the time I have been part time my biggest issue has been development days as they are often on a day I don't work and that means paying child care extra for ones important to me. As 0.6 I am required to attend 3 out of 5 days If the first 3 are on days I don't work I don't have to attend the other two even if they should fall on a day I normally would. It is easier to plan this if you know what each development day is going to be about. If the head wants me to attend more than 3 I get paid to attend.
    The key to part time work is to be flexible and communicate with the head - if they see you willing to give a bit they will be more prepared to give a bit too.

15. Elsie Teacher

Elsie Teacher New commenter

Our weekly staff meetings are on a Monday and all teaching staff have to attend. They last for 2 1/2 hours and leave us washed out for the week!

16. I am with you on this. If you work 60% of the school day (and are paid 60% of a teacher's wage) you should be expected to fulfil 60% of duties expected of a 100% teacher. 3 / 5 meetings would be more sensible than 60% of each meeting. If the Head doesn't like this, then he/she shouldn't employ .6 of a teacher in the first place. But this should have been sorted out before you began.

17. To get around the job-sharers issue with one half of the share getting hit with the staff meetings stick - my old school set it up so that the staff meeting day alternated between a Monday and a Thursday each week - so one half would do one meeting, the other half would do the following meeting... while it did mean that we all were forever working out whether it was a week 1 or a week 2 (since my brain generally had the intellectual capacity of a goldfish by Monday hometime) - it seemed the fairest and easiest solution in that situation.

18. I also work .6 and I have been told I have to attend all staff meeting asnd ours never last an hour and attend all inset days!

19. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We are the same