1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Staff Meetings

Discussion in 'Primary' started by iamagoodgirl, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Just wondering what happens in your staff meetings. How long are they ?, How often etc.

2. Just wondering what happens in your staff meetings. How long are they ?, How often etc.

3. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Once a week. 3:30 - 5:00

Sometimes split into Curriculum teams to focus on our subjects. Sometimes Key stage teams to do policies/moderation etc. Sometimes whole school training or policies. Varies week to week although we are given a general overview of the schedule at the start of term.

4. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

1hour a week. Like Milgod, overview issued at the start of term. 5 minute environment review ( we meet in a different area in school each week and write down 1 positive and one development point) straight onto agenda for 50 minute. 5 minute review at end ( actions to follow, what we've agreed etc.) no staff meeting if we have concerts/ parents evenings.

5. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

There's a thread about this on the ht forum at the moment if you've a burning desire to find out more.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOLOL Not quite the same aspect of staff meetings though!!!

Love the environment review thing...going to remember it for when I'm HT. Thank you.

7. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

You're welcome. We did one in my office once. I got lots of " tidy your desk" comments!
    The thread on ht does have a slightly different perspective!

8. I was just curious as sometimes I have so much to do after school that a meeting is as a welcome as the runs. I understand we have to have them but wondered sometimes how useful they actually are and whether a note in the pigeon hole would be enough.

9. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

We use outs for training and discussions about pedagogy and methodology. I thinknits essential to prevent school getting "stale" and stuck in a rut.

10. Hour and a half each week, usually Head preaching to us and then a key stage meeting once a week for an hour!
    Neither very thrilling !

11. What goes on the KS meeting for an hour that can't be covered by the staff meeting?

12. CB123

CB123 New commenter

We have a meeting mon 3.30 - 5 (often whole school) and Thurs 3.30 - 4.30 (often just in your Key Stage). If for what ever reason we don;t have a meeting we still have to stay in school till these times!!! I would probably still be in school most of the time marking etc but it is a pain when you are wanting to get an appointment etc and you cant leave.

13. Is there not a rule saying that staff meetings can only last for 1 hour and any other meetings during the week cannot exceed 1 hour also. Sounds like a school full of meetings. What do you do in them? When do you get all your prep and marking done?
    Do you have any after-school clubs and who runs them? I find it very frustrating that I run after-school football and netball clubs and then head and team leaders expect me to drop them at the drop of a hat. We shouldn't be letting the children down like that.
    I find these meetings seem to go round in circles anyway with people just like listening to their own voices. Less talking about teaching, more doing it!!

14. CB123

CB123 New commenter

Sometimes I feel like we have a meeting to organise another meeting.
    Yes we have to do an after school club but only for 1 half term a year.
    To make matters worse I have to do some of the staff meetings with next to no time given to me to prepare. I have a TLR for maths so a couple of times a year have to lead maths meetings. I like to think that the ones I deliver are usually useful but all the prep (which is often a lot) is done in my own time.
    All prep and marking is done in our own time. So often Mon and Thurs are very long nights! Roll on tomorrow ha ah

15. that's true
    and there should be a pre circulated agenda.
    staff meetings are part of directed time and should be included on the directed time information sheet given to all staff at the beginning of the autumn term. ( telling you when meetings, twilights, consultations are etc)

16. Does anyone actually get a directed time sheet? We certainly don't. Parents' eve after half term has just been announced - why do I always forget to pre-empt it with theatre tickets?!?!?

17. My thoughts entirely...... alot of moaning about key stage things ! Tend to just keep quiet!

18. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

ours at the momnent is large handout on how to be an outstanding teacher in ofsted eyes..plus how to teach wonderfully in maths and every other subject.........al to be implemented ASAP.

19. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I issue a planner at the end of the summer term with key dates for the following year, including parents evenings. Staff meetings are planned at the beginning of term in consultation with staff. 1 each term set aside to fill in trackers, 1 to complete ieps. The rest are planned according to what we need to cover.
    We put times on the agenda to keep things running smoothly.