1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

staff meetings with small baby

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by newmummy1, Dec 26, 2010.

1. newmummy1

newmummy1 New commenter

Hi everyone
    Just wondered how people deal with after school meetings when they return to work. My baby will be 8 months when I go back full time and our staff meeting runs til 5pm. This really worries me as I will have so little time with her by the time I get home. Also my school piled on the pressure during my pregnancy for me to 'do my bit' in the way of extra curricular activities after school, so I'm concerned they will make it hard for me again. I am a good teacher and work very hard at my job but I want to prioritise my baby.
    Also how do people cope with planning and workload in general and still have time for baby?
    Thanks.

2. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I went back full-time when Cariadlet was about 7 months old. I was lucky in that she was cared for by my boyfriend or his parents while I was at work. I tried to get home for 5.30 - apart from planning nights which were later.
    I made up a rotating 3 week menu, and cooked up batches of food which I froze. Then Cariadlet's dad and grandparents could give her dinner before I got home, while I did bathtime and bed time.
    It wasn't ideal for me, only having a short time with her in the evenings. But she was fine, and at least I had the whole weekend and holidays with her.
    I've found the only time to make being a full-time teacher and a half-decent parent work, is through sleep deprivation!
    Basically, from the time I get home until Cariadlet goes to bed, is her time. Then it's a couple of hours for dinner and time with Mr C. Most evenings I don't get to start my school work until 8 or 9

3. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Staff meetings are part of directed time, so you can't opt out I'm afraid. Unless extra curricular clubs are part of directed time at your school then you can opt out of those.
    You will find a rhythmn when you get back into it.
    After my 1st baby the first 5 weeks of returning to work were awful, I was deputy head and senco ( primary) and no one had been covering my role ( the head said he had but nothing had been done) I returned to find I had an annual review meeting every night for 3 weeks on top of staff meetings and ft teaching commitment, there was a mountain of paperwork to catch up with and I felt tearful and out of control. Once I got back on top of things I became much better at organising my work. I never work until my children have gone to bed. I have to work later now but it means I spend quality time with them. Stick with it. 9 years on I don't regret going back and working full time. I live my children and I love my job too andmost of the time I think the balance is just right, some times are busier than others but August is fantastic!
    good luck.

4. Millie dog

Millie dog New commenter

hi,
    i went back in september full time after having my first earlier in the year. To be honest it has been tough, but not as tough as i thought it was going to be. I don't miss LO during the day (there isn't time!) and i'm sure it's because i am so happy with my childcare arrangements that i don't have to worry about her.
    Me and my husband have sorted a routine that works for both of us - i get to school about 7.30am and he drops her later with childminder. It means i get quite a bit of work done before school. I try to leave at 4.30, but as you know, that doesn't always happen! More often than not it doesn't. I did comment the other day that i felt like a 1950's man where i only see my child for 30 mins a day!
    One thing i have made sure is that we stick with our bedtime routine, so LO is in bed by 6.30pm. It does mean i don't see much of her in the evening on busy weeks but it's so much easier for her.
    Make the most of your weekends and holidays. Be 100% happy with your childcare arrangements. Don't waste time at school (i'm still guilty of this!) Get into a good routine. Don't beat yourself up over things - it's still you that baby gives the biggest smile too!!
    Good luck!
    x