1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Staff meetings on 0.51fte

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by Sazzle22, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Sazzle22

Sazzle22 New commenter

Hi,
    i have just accepted a new job starting in September on a 0.51fte working all day Wednesday, all day Thursday and half a day Friday. My question is how many staff meetings should I be expected to attend? The staff meeting is on a Wednesday after school.
    Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks

2. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Half of them.
    I would suggest every other one.

GLsghost likes this.
  3. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Directed time = 0.51x1265 hours. That will also need to include parents evenings, etc, so it may depend on whether parents evenings are on Mondays or Thursdays. Add up the total of everything you're supposed to do, and if it's over your directed time limit, talk to your line manager about which meetings you should skip.

GLsghost likes this.
  4. Godmeister

Godmeister Occasional commenter

Well if the meetings are on a Wednesday, and that is a normal working day for you, wouldn't you just go to the meeting every time?

5. essc

essc New commenter

I'm in a 0.5 and work every other Wednesday, this is also when our staff meetings are so I only attend every other week when I am in school. Really you should only go to every other but your school may have other ideas...... good luck x

Startedin82 likes this.
  6. Lizrose35

Lizrose35 New commenter

Both job shares at my school are in school on staff meeting day (timetabled for this reason) so they both attend every weekly staff meeting. They both attend all 3 parents' evenings too.

7. catbanj

catbanj Occasional commenter

Our PT teachers in our department are both in on meetings night and are required to attend all of them. It is in their best interest so they get their CPD as they may want to move on/up in the future

8. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Established commenter

If you're in on that day then you should attend all the meeting unless Directed Time is exceeded.

You'd think that directed time is bound to be exceeded but on close inspection you'll discover that you don't attend the 6th form and Year 10 parents' evening. What about the presentation evening that you won't go to....etc?

So you'll end up trawling through the calendar and checking the calculations and at best discovering you are owed 45 minutes a term. At worst you'll find out that all staff are being stuffed and either way you probably won't want to make a fuss.

Perhaps your school union rep can give better assurances than me on this post.

9. emilywoolley

emilywoolley New commenter

I worked 0.6 last year and so attended roughly 3 out of every 5 staff meetings. Otherwise it's really hard to get everything done that's expected. You shouldn't have to attend them all as you are not full time. I would ask for a list of the staff meetings and attend the most important ones.

Startedin82 likes this.
  10. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

They may be at risk of exceeding their directed time hours which, as others have already said, should be 50% of 1265 hours.

11. gadgetgirl123

gadgetgirl123 New commenter

I work 0.4 and don't attend any staff meetings as they are always on my day off. I do attend more than my fair share of inset though, as well as doing parents evening for four year groups.

It all works out about 0.4 in the end!