1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Staff meetings on 0.3

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by TJPM, Nov 6, 2017.

1. TJPM

TJPM New commenter

Hello! I’m working as a Spanish Teacher 10 hours a week in a Primary School. I work from Monday to Friday 2 hours in the afternoon. They are asking me to assist the meetings after school on Mondays because I’m now contracted as a Qualified Teacher when before I was contracted as a Unqualified Teacher. I said to them that I’m always busy on Mondays after school due to work. Does anybody know if legally I have to go.
    Thank you

2. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

I'd talk to your union.

I can't see why qualified/unqualified would make a difference.

If you are paid as 0.3, then your directed time should not be more than 379.5 hours, so that probably restricts the number of meetings you can be expected to go to. I'm a bit puzzled about how 10 hours can be 0.3, as that suggests the school has a teaching timetable of over 33 hours. In fact, 39 weeks at 10 hours a week is 390 hours, so unless that 10 hours includes breaks, something is wrong.

To find what proportion of the week you should be paid for, you divide your hours (teaching and PPA - if you're doing 10 hours, one should be PPA - don't include breaks) by the number of hours in the full teaching timetable, not including breaks and lunchtimes.
    Then that proportion is multiplied by 1265 to see how many hours you can be directed for. That would include break duties, any time you are required to be there before/after teaching, parents' evenings, meetings, training days. It doesn't have to be the same proportion of each: they might not require you for parents' evenings, for instance.

Assuming the figures are sorted out and you do have some directed hours, they might argue that you are obliged to do some meetings. However you might be able to appeal to "established custom and practice" as you've not been expected to go in the past. I can't see how being qualified affects you needing to be there. A sensible school would see the problem that you work elsewhere, and that this was okay last year, and would agree a compromise (perhaps attending the mornings as well as the afternoons of training days, making sure you read the minutes/documents relating to meetings). If they won't, then you need to talk to your union about what might be done.