1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Staff meeting protocol-Have you ever come across this

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Duplobrick, Jan 19, 2011.

1. I assume that by personalising things in this way you either don't wish to, or are unable to, engage in thinking about the points raised.

2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

As a non head, and some one who has just re-started attending meetings due to placement on supply, a comment.
    So far I have been to about 6...but usually at the end of the day ,a busy day when I am tired and wanting to either get on with the pile of marking heads want us to do, or to go home as i dont want to stay at school till 5...the time the meetings finish stating at 3.45.
    Excuse me ih i yawn if faced by another prep talk,or another how to succeed at OFSTED inspection stds.
    So far one has been inteesting...a dear woman from a lead school trying hard to improve our Maths introduction sessions.............but again rushed and huge hand outs at the end.The staff didn t yawn..but i did wish she would hurry up and finish as id been teaching all day and not even had time for a coffee or the loo.
    Most staff meeting have to be heavy as heads want to impose their latest dictats, wisdom from above, decisions made inthe light of staff failings and needs to inprove this or that.
    I dont say chatting is right, but often its the only time i actually get to meet staff from other quarters of the school....usually because we dont have time to go to staffrooms and it seems the day of staff meeting for a chat and laugh at break and dinner time has vanished in a huge number of schools i have been to.So it is a chance to catch up, as it where.
    Imagine how you felt when you were a minor being..........did you sit respectfully and fully attentive?
    If you want attention consider relating the dry bits to a memo or sheet on a note..and a quick any questions>
    Consider raising morale by a get together and chat.....the head meeting and listening instead of imposing.......maybe you can cut the waffle.power points and ego tips and just deal with the basics.....what we need, how to get there and how can we as staff help reach the std? Often the professionalism of staff is not allowed to shine, and i ,like many staff, have learnt not to raise the voice of objection( i once lost a supply job as i offered advice/ideas in a staff meeting.i hadnt realised the head didnt like dissenters!)
    So yawn .yes.......we have heard most of it before in one form or the other and it cuts no ice when the new pronouncements and impositions of heads once more leeads to increased workloads and worries.
    As heads you either lead and take your staff with you.or you impose and wait for them to jump.. you lead by being brief ....or bore by being long winded.

3. Not every staff meeting is about some new initiative sometimes they are mundane stuff like re-organisationof routines and rotas and other issue that an organisation has to discuss and make sure they are being consistent on various issues. Dull but I am not paid to entertain adults who are getting well paid to be there-I wonder how much an hour. Probably on supply rates about £20. Yawning is just rude, go home but drop the £20 off as you go.

4. "A case can be constructed to say that staff are 'professional' if they talk/yawn/exhibit negative body language during meetings as it gives those constructing the meetings immediate feedback about how useless and boring those meetings actually are"

It probably can but it would be a rubbish one. More a carrier bag than a case. Yawning / talking /etc while someone is talking in a meeting or presenting are rude in any walk of life. Please do not try to justify bad manners as some kind of construcitve feedback.

5. headdown and charlieboy - spot on!

6. Ok, so the phenomenology, and even morphic understanding of what constitutes bad manners, include talking and yawning (mind you yawning may have another purpose)...errrm, pointedly looking at your watch could also be bad manners. However several posts here have pointed out the nature of rubbish meetings many have had to endure, and at least one response is, you're getting paid for it, put up with it.
    Meetings are so often a waste of everybodys time, a passive experience, sometimes with a series of tasks/orders thrown out with no regard to the practicalities, and a generally authoritarian air, that many think that any autonomy they may have as a teacher is simply being taken from them. It's OK because we're workers getting paid good money to put up with it, but very irritating if it is coupled with the exhortation that despite such treatment, we ought to behave in a way that managers want to define as 'professional'.
    As a teacher in the classroom I have to cope with a range of 'manners', I have to cope with the students actually in front of me, rather than the ideal student I would want them to be. I try to adapt and interact in order to get them onboard, and if it isn't working it may be useful to try to understand why.
    In the extreme if managers think they should call a meeting with any old rubbish in it, and the staff should jolly well have the good manners to put up with it...to know their place as it were, then those managers may harvest silence, but will eventually realise they will reap resentment.

7. Now that is a good idea. The admin that takes place would then have to be dealt with some other way, and it would strengthed the truth that staff are paid money for their time, and need not work extra unpaid unless they volunteer to.

8. oldsomeman

i find this comment condecending...you assume we dont care and that as a supply i dodnt attend meeting with good grace.Remember as supply we dont get paid beyound a time and my rates are nothing compared to the large sums you get paid to govern the school..and often we work far harder than some HT who you never see on the floor, actually working with kids.
    Yes you do the paper work and handle the logistics,,,,,,but i bet you dont go without your coffee to go chaseing after errant kids and do the detentions and playground duties. So i wont leave my £20 behind as its a mere pittance compared to a full time teacher.....a job i do with all the same resopsibilities , but without the benifits of holidays and sick pay and with an instant threat of dismissal if im found incompetant.
    Reorganisation etc have to be sorted......but at least hand it out in advance then then get feedback,,,,,,save talking it al out.

9. olds - you seem to have a big chip on your shoulder. If heads and other SMT have such an easy time why don't you jump on the bandwagon? It's a piece of proverbial, so come and join us!
    You might also want to improve your ability to write properly. Just a thought.

10. oldsomeman

Let me get this straight....after 30 plus years in teaching I have no intention of 'jumping on the bandwagon' as you call it.
    I do not have chip on my shoulder..and in fact if you read my posts you will find that generally I am supportive of the hard tasks that heads undertake and manage.I have in the past managed my own firms and run my own business and so understand some of the pressures of staffing and management decision making. I have also been head of department in a huge comprehensive plus amany other management areas...although of late i wil admit i have not due to chosing to be on supply..
    I did once want to be head but that was many years ago ....... and even now as a supply I go to great lengths to support my head and many of the things that are implemented.
    However , that does not make myself an easy pushover and I have a right to an opinion and I was putting forward a different viewpoint.....but do not assume I have a chip...well I do for one head who I will forever never forgive......but in all the places I work I nearly always have a good reppor with the head and am a team player, but with a right to independence...born out of seeing to many events in teaching and sitting through more staff meetings than some of you might have ever delivered.
    Against heads....no .Against those who demean..yes.
    Even today I can employ men from all sorts of life backgrounds.. and work with them .....its not always down to the ruling by imposing(although as a leader you do have to some times), but how you work with them! So it is with handling staff. Visit the other forums and see how many staff view both your meetings and work loads you impose!

11. years aga I joined a school as maths subject leader and the HT asked me to do a staff meeting input on using and applying/ problem solving in the weekly staff meeting. I prepared resources etc and turned up to find a teacher knitting, 2 marking books, 3 balancing dinner trays on their knees (including the HT). It freaked me out........years later I can laugh about the good old days [​IMG]