1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Staff meeting protocol-Have you ever come across this

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Duplobrick, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Can't believe what I've inherited. Its more like a dinnertime. Staff turn and talk to each other when a colleague is speaking, turm up late and interrupt, yawn. I've never seen a class behave that rudely to each other never mind adults. One member of staff told me that some others never speak in staff meetings (I can see why)-why bother! It is the complete lack of professionalism that staggers me. Has anyone come across this before?

2. This is advice I got from a colleague when we got sick of our meetings. At the end of the meeting you should WWW/EBI (may call it a review and not use the kiddie-language) how the meeting went. This will mean that you will get feedback about things that the staff want to hear and they know that you expect the engagement to be higher. I have never had the balls to do this though!

3. Keighleigh

Keighleigh New commenter

We have the same problem! It is even worse when a visitor comments that the staff were not very receptive (and that was putting it lightly!) it was embarrassing! It's in this school and my previous. The thing is you don't want to be patronising... they are adults but there comes a time when you have to draw the line! I suggest a discussion at senior team level. Would like to know your approach and whether it works or not!

4. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Clear agenda ( with timings)
    set of intended outcomes on the agenda
    If conversation wanders off topic, you state ( and if slt are on side they can too) "we can talk about that another time, what we need to achieve today is x"
    persistent chatters get a quiet word. " I've noticed you find it difficult yobstay focussed in staff meetings, I think it would be good for your professional development if you led the next one"
    stick at it, they need to know you mean it
    A staff meeting going through the teacher standards would be a useful excercise- there's a section in there about contributing to meetings
    that should do for starters.

5. Would you define professionalism as others doing what you want?

6. Laughing Gravy

Laughing Gravy New commenter

I agree with these points. In addition if staff are talking I have collectively mentioned that I would expect teachers to listen to the speaker (just like a teacher would expect their pupils to in class) or in privately, mention this to a teacher.
    With any meeting I do feel set times should be set for the agenda and they should be adhered too. Rarely have I found that teachers want to stay longer than expected and chatting amongst themsleves, besides rude is one thing that causes this to happen.

7. It's really annoying when pairs or groups of staff start talking amongst themselves during a meeting. Our head just says to the colleagues concerned (at the time) "Can we have one meeting rather than several, please". It works, as we now have fewer incidences of this rudeness.
    What's also annoying is when colleagues don't listen to what is being said, and just seem to hear bits of a discussion. e.g. blah blah blah redundancies blah blah blah.

8. No just listening to what I and their colleagues have to say. Lots of dedicated, experienced and skilful staff are being marginalised by the the behaviour of others. It's not ablout me.

9. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Say something along the lines of "I am not surprised there is concern about low-level disruption in the lessons when this is what the staff meetings are like. We, as a team, are going to put a stop to low-level disruption in the school and, to ensure that it is effective, we will start right here in the staff meetings. The expectations are........"
    Good luck.

10. Teachers would be censured if their lessons were about the students sitting passively while the teacher drones on at the front of the class, yet my experience of meetings/training/staff development is usually exactly that.
    We sometimes have some kind of projection/flip chart/whiteboard full of words which the leader proceeds to read out, and then hand you at the end on pieces of paper...we wouldn't teach our students that way (I hope) but we are taught that way ourselves...any wonder that staff lose interest and focus?
    In addition you often have a series of senior staff pushing their personal agenda as the most important thing ever, and often giving out tons of extra unmeasured things for staff to 'go away and do' which basically does their job for them.
    I have hardly ever attended a meeting which improves things for me in the classroom, actually often quite the opposite, in an effort to bend to the will of a non teaching manager lessons can become stultified and unproductive....possibly all this is my unlucky personal experience.
    Either way I would never call myself a professional because the word has no meaning.

11. I've been in schools where the staff are downright ruse in staff meetings too. Why should staff meetings be all-singin-all-dancing to keep the attention of their staff? Grown-ups with manners ought to be able to sit, listen and contribute appropriately in a meeting. I personally think you should say something to the staff along the lines of 'When we had Ms X in talking to us about Y last week she said something to me afterwards which I really have to share with you. She commented that she found running the session very difficult as so many of our staff were chatting to each other. I wondered if there is any reason why talking in staff meetings has become the norm in this school and if we could perhaps discuss how we want our meetings to be?' I bet there would be at least half of the staff internally cheering you on. I SO WISH my head had a bigger pair of balls and would tackle stuff like this head on.

12. Spot on, Beestoni! We're talking about well-educated professionals who should know better.
    And please don't get me going about break-time duties!
    h

13. Highschooler, when you say 'should know better', do you really mean that you think others ought to share your world view because you are right?

14. I suggest you look at the NCSL 50 lessons Leadership videos. Great advice from successful leaders eg, Tim Brighouse, Sallyanne Staunton - setting ground rules for meetings might help
    Good Luck

15. My world view? I'm not even sure I know what that is!!
    But when I say 'should know better' I mean exactly that. In fact, if anything, I mean they do know better for the vast majority of staff. Do you really think that people who talk/yawn/exhibit negative body language during meetings don't actually realise it's rude and unprofessional?

16. Allow me to refer you to my earlier post describing the nature of some meetings I have endured. A case can be constructed to say that staff are 'professional' if they talk/yawn/exhibit negative body language during meetings as it gives those constructing the meetings immediate feedback about how useless and boring those meetings actually are. If I am attempting to teach a lesson and the students are climbing the walls, I will soon get it that my teaching is unengaging.
    When I talk about a world view that is transmitted by the extravagent use of the word 'professional', I talk of a person defining professional on the hoof to a definition that suits them as individuals, and has very little objective reality.

17. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

It really annoys me when staff meetings become a 'free for all'.
    Our meetings are supposed to start at half past 3. They tend to get going at about twenty to 4 because people wander in as if they're not even late. We finish school at 10 past 3 so plenty of time to get started for half past.
    Then the diary dates take half an hour because people can't shut up. Then we always finish late because tiny little things seem to need rediculous debate. If people just stayed in job mode we could be finished in half the time. I'd rather get things done and go home. What is wrong with these people! It also doesn't help that out headteacher uses 1000 words when 10 would do!

18. Your username may be 'philosophical' but your posts don't support the claim.

19. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Some things are, by their very nature not exciting but have to be done.
    Diary dates are a pain in the proverbial and can take up an inordinate amount of time if you allow it.
    I get round this by issuing all known diary dates for the following term before we break up. Staff are told to come and see me if they can forsee ant problems. We then allow 10 minutes ( no more) at the first meeting back to discuss any issues that we haven't been able to resolve. Usually there are noorinlems as everyone knows well in advance.
    I do the same either timetables so nothing comes as a shock- I try to issue them in June to give us time to iron out any problems. It seems to work
    We keep a staff diary in the staffroom, everyone knows that they are expected to check it once a week, and write any events in there- if it isn't in there it doesn't happen. We need fewer meetings because everyone keeps themselves up to speed
    As for yawning and talking while others are talking in meetings. There us absolutely no excuse for being rude, and that's what it is- just plain bad manners. If people can't control their bad manners for an hour a week, they need talking to.

20. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Dear god, fat fingers tonight. Apologies.