1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Staff governors in independent schools

Discussion in 'Independent' started by MrsBridgewater, Feb 12, 2020.

1. MrsBridgewater

MrsBridgewater New commenter

Having worked in state schools, and having been a parent governor at a state school, I was surprised to find that there were neither staff nor parent governors on our governing body. I was about to start googling and then thought it might be quicker to ask here if it was the norm not to have staff and parents represented?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Was norm in several that I knew, but not norm in others.

There are also Indys with no governing body...

Best wishes

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Not known any staff governors...it's something I find odd as well.

4. speaker2

speaker2 Occasional commenter

You will find this as quite usual in the independent sector. Some do not have governing bodies if they are actually affiliated to larger private companies too, but they will call it a governing body, although it does not really have resemble the model of school governing body that you will have seen in the maintained sector. If you are concerned because you are a parent and a teacher in an independent school, I suggest that you get on the parent association for the school , as most schools of all types have some form of parent group to join and usually are really in need of active supporters.

TheoGriff likes this.
  5. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Independents have all sorts of constitutions, for want of a better word. Some small ones are owned by the HT or the family, and are effectively small businesses, and the directors of the company will be the owners. Others are fundamentally charitable trusts, and the composition of the charity's board will be as determined by the charity's deeds.
    Some are part of charitable chains, so there'll be two layers of governance, again depending on the charity's original Deeds.
    Yet others are commercial chains.

Some schools have great difficulty in finding governors with the right skills and knowledge - the demands tend to be wider than in many maintained schools; others for historical reasons have less difficulty (for example if the Archbishop of Canterbury is an ex-officio governor, or if a Livery Company appoints some or all of the governors).

Independent schools are independent - and so can have very different structures. I am aware of some independents' governing bodies, which do include parents, but for the parents' skills and expertise, not because they are parents per se. They also include representatives from the former pupils' societies, which is something different again.

6. MrsBridgewater

MrsBridgewater New commenter

Thank you. We are in a period of change at the moment. It is evident, from our meetings with governors as part of the pensions consultation, that there is a chasm between what happens in school and what the governors believe happens in school which has caused problems. We thought suggesting a staff governor role might go some way to preventing misunderstandings in the future.